DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Final Cut Pro and the Sony XDCAM (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/70457-final-cut-pro-sony-xdcam.html)

Michael Campanella June 28th, 2006 01:19 PM

Final Cut Pro and the Sony XDCAM

Today I went to a rental house and did some test with an XDCAM. I am considering renting it to film a short corporate/informational film. I shot a couple of minutes worth of footage and tried to import it to Final Cut Pro and was unsuccessful.

When I went into "Log and Capture" mode I was able to control the camera via FCP pro, but received no image in the "Log and Capture" window. I did two attempts at capturing clips. The film was processed and at the end I received an error message saying "No video" or something similar. I tried filming both in DVCAM mode and XDCAM.

Is it possible to import directly from the camera into Final Cut Pro via Firewire. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Will I need some type of capture deck, something I was trying to avoid?

Jeff Sayre June 28th, 2006 03:11 PM

Michael:

Just yesterday Apple and Sony announced a free application that enables native interoperability between XDCAM HD and FCP. The software is available as a download from Sony's XDCAM site. You can read the press release here: http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/23245.html

To answer your question, yes you can import XDCAM data directly into FCP via FireWire. During Apple's demonstration of this new XDCAM plugin, they imported data into a MacBook Pro through the FireWire port.

Were you using XDCAM or XDCAM HD? If it was the HD format, then this software application would solve your problem.

Greg Boston June 28th, 2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
Michael:

Just yesterday Apple and Sony announced a free application that enables native interoperability between XDCAM HD and FCP. The software is available as a download from Sony's XDCAM site. You can read the press release here: http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/23245.html

To answer your question, yes you can import XDCAM data directly into FCP via FireWire. During Apple's demonstration of this new XDCAM plugin, they imported data into a MacBook Pro through the FireWire port.

Were you using XDCAM or XDCAM HD? If it was the HD format, then this software application would solve your problem.

Yes, it would but the software is nowhere to be found. I have been searching.

-gb-

Jeff Sayre June 28th, 2006 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Yes, it would but the software is nowhere to be found. I have been searching.

-gb-

Yeah, I noticed that it is nowhere to be found also. I assume that it will be available at the handful of free seminars that Apple and Sony are joint hosting (http://seminars.apple.com/go/sonytour/). Possibly after those are over, the software will be available through Sony's XDCAM website.

It is strange, though, that they would make this joint announcement and then not actually have the software available. Well, I guess the PR Department is one step ahead of the Technology Department.

Greg Boston June 28th, 2006 06:52 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I noticed that it is nowhere to be found also. I assume that it will be available at the handful of free seminars that Apple and Sony are joint hosting (http://seminars.apple.com/go/sonytour/). Possibly after those are over, the software will be available through Sony's XDCAM website.

It is strange, though, that they would make this joint announcement and then not actually have the software available. Well, I guess the PR Department is one step ahead of the Technology Department.

I went to the first one in Dallas today and in the presentation they say it's available. I spoke with one of the Sony reps and she said she would email me the link or the actual application. At this time it only suports 25mbs. They wouldn't promise when 35mbs would be supported. And you can't edit in FCP with the low res proxies, only the full resolution files. But, in the XDCAM transfer window, you select the part of your clips you want using standard In/Out point commands. The software then imports only those portions of the media. After you finish your editing, the sequence can be exported back out as a single clip onto the camera's disk after it re-constructs the long GOP format. In essence, your disk becomes the acquisition, mastering, and archival media.

-gb-

Jeff Sayre June 28th, 2006 07:50 PM

Greg:

Thanks for the good, useful information. I'm close to Chicago and will most likely be going the the August 1 seminar.

Michael Campanella June 29th, 2006 04:51 AM

Quote:

Michael:

I was using the original XDCAM (non-HD) the one that can film in IMX or in DV CAM.

I was also using a copy of Final Cut Pro 5.0.4 for the test. The machine that I will actually be dumping the footage onto is running FCP5.1 at the moment.

Do you have any idea how much longer they will keep people waiting before releasing this software? The entire reason I started to look at the XDCAM is because of problems with FCP and HDV 24p codecs. Now that I've got my mind made up on filming with the XDCAM I'd hate to have to go back to the drawing board.

Greg Boston June 29th, 2006 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Campanella
I was using the original XDCAM (non-HD) the one that can film in IMX or in DV CAM.

I was also using a copy of Final Cut Pro 5.0.4 for the test. The machine that I will actually be dumping the footage onto is running FCP5.1 at the moment.

Do you have any idea how much longer they will keep people waiting before releasing this software? The entire reason I started to look at the XDCAM is because of problems with FCP and HDV 24p codecs. Now that I've got my mind made up on filming with the XDCAM I'd hate to have to go back to the drawing board.

FCP 5.0.4 does not support XDCAM (except through a $499 plugin from FlipforMac). You have to upgrade to 5.1.1. If the other machine you'll be dumping to only has 5.1, then you need to download the ProApps update from the Apple website to get to 5.1.1.

-gb-

Greg Boston June 29th, 2006 03:56 PM

Well, here's the news you did not want to hear. Just got a call from a Sony rep and he stated that he did some checking around after my inquiries from yesterday.

He got an email response that said they had 'misspoken' at the Dallas, Miami events yesterday and that they are 'shooting for mid-July' as the release date for it.

So it's hurry up and wait for now. Grrrrr....

Yesterday was a complete waste of my time given what has transpired. I didn't need another sales pitch, I already own the hardware. They already showed this stuff at NAB. I was hoping they would deliver the goods and they didn't.

Give Apple credit though, they are fully ready with the 5.1.1 update released last week. So the ball is strictly in Sony's court.

-gb-

Jeff Sayre June 29th, 2006 08:21 PM

Boy, that is just wrong. I'm sorry it turned out that way for you. Perhaps Sony needs some internal communications training?