DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Logo imported on FCP - blurry (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/71050-logo-imported-fcp-blurry.html)

Carol Gancia July 7th, 2006 04:34 PM

Logo imported on FCP - blurry

I imported a logo from photoshop to Livetype without resizing it and used it as part of my lower thirds. Everything looked great in Livetype. But when I dropped the lower third on the FCP timeline, the logo appeared blurry.

Does anyone know of a simple solution to this?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Les Wilson July 8th, 2006 09:23 PM

I know that FCP doesn't display at the highest quality. When you export it and display it at High Quality, is it right?

Carol Gancia July 11th, 2006 11:17 PM

logo over video exported in fcp but still with jagged edges

It is of much better quality after being exported but the logo shows jagged edges this time.

Does anyone know what to do about this problem?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Greg Boston July 12th, 2006 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Gancia
It is of much better quality after being exported but the logo shows jagged edges this time.

Does anyone know what to do about this problem?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Apply a 'slight blur' to the logo track in FCP. That's how a lot of rolling credits are done so that they don't flicker in alternating flelds as they move up the screen. Should help with the jaggies also.

-gb-

Carol Gancia July 13th, 2006 02:29 PM

brought the project to Motion - logo still jagged when back to fcp

Thanks, Greg. I will try applying the slight blur.

In the meantime, what I did was bring the livetype file to Motion and apply the logo over the livetype in Motion. I imported both the completed motion project to fcp and the exported quicktime version of it. Unfortunately, both still have the jagged edges on the logo.

Zach Mull July 13th, 2006 02:40 PM

What codec are you working in? I know that if I make something in Motion at the DV settings it looks great in Motion, but if I actually run it through the DV codec, either by rendering it in a DV sequence in final cut or exporting it directly, I get very disappointed with the sharpness and aliasing. If it's at all an option for what you're working on, I would suggest rendering out of Motion with the Animation codec (the Lossless setting on export) and not running it through DV. Of course if you're not working in DV then I've just wasted a couple minutes of your time. :)

Carol Gancia July 13th, 2006 04:08 PM

Thank you

The slight blur on the logo track helped reduce the pixellation but didn't really eliminate it completely. I exported the whole video and burned it on DVD to see if by some miracle, the pixellation won't be visible anymore. Someone said that sometimes, the problem is just within fcp. If that doesn't work, I will try the animation codec.

Zach Mull July 13th, 2006 10:43 PM

Are you only seeing the aliasing in the canvas window in FCP or are you seeing it on your external video? If it's just in the canvas then I wouldn't worry about it until you look at external video. But if you see it on your external video then you're going to see it on DVD.