DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   looking for DV cataloging software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/7143-looking-dv-cataloging-software.html)

Tony Brave February 22nd, 2003 03:50 PM

looking for DV cataloging software

I have been trying to look for software that will intergrate well with FCP3. I wish to index all my DV tapes. Does anyone know of other software available and how they compare with thes two I have found:

iViewPro
CatDV

Jeff Donald February 22nd, 2003 07:12 PM

I've tried several versions of CatDV and I'm impressed. Each version gets better and better. Now that 3.X is out, it is stable possibly worth the price if you have large numbers of tapes. it seems to integrate fairly well, but I'd wait till FCP 4 comes out (4 to 6 weeks) to see what it might have included.

Bill Markel February 24th, 2003 09:23 PM

Jeff,

Are you referring to the CatDV personal or Pro editions. I've been contemplating this purchase, so this topic is very timely for me.

Thanks,

Bill

Jeff Donald February 25th, 2003 06:50 AM

I've used the Pro version. It helps with media management, but is pricey for what it does. I would think that FCP 4 could include many of the tools.

I helped a friend, recently with a documentary and he used CatDV to help organize and manage about 50 raw tapes from various sources. It worked well, but at times the software seemed slow. We were using an older Mac (DP533) and that may have been part of the problem. Free demos are available, but with several functions disabled

Bill Markel February 25th, 2003 12:38 PM

Thanks Jeff,

Just the info I was looking for.

Bill

Patrick King August 17th, 2004 05:32 PM

Is there anything that works well and inexpensively on the PC?

The Java engine for CatDV is a processor HOG. It is very inefficient and painfully slow, at least on my machine. Feature look good but I couldn't consider using while I have my editor open because its such a memory piggy.

I've looked at TEPX, but $399 for the Bronze (entry-level) version is about $299 more than I want to spend.

CatVIDS is made for logging retail hollywood movies but can be made to catalog DV tapes with limitations.

Videomatica will record DV details you type in, but no capture or playback (so basically its just a preformatted flat-file database).

Someone please tell me you seen other PC software products made for cataloging a DV tape collection (and C-VHS, VHS, etc).

Patrick King January 15th, 2005 10:02 AM

Latest Video Cataloging Software?

Its been six months and I've still not found an affordable, useful piece of software for cataloging my DV tapes/videos.

Has anyone seen, or better yet used a good DV cataloging tool?

Frank Meek January 15th, 2005 01:54 PM

more searches...

You might look at "Version Tracker," as I've seen several shareware/freeware programs as well as the "trade" iterations of several programs for this. A caveat, however: I've not used these specific programs...so do a search at that site and see what's out there. They update their lists frequently and they include ratings and feedback (and links thereto) for your further investigation.