DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   what would be the best computer for me to get for DV editing??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/71839-what-would-best-computer-me-get-dv-editing.html)

Kevin Odell July 19th, 2006 07:11 PM

what would be the best computer for me to get for DV editing???

I currently own a powermac g5 computer 2ghz 1gb ram but i got it used and it doesnt run as well as i would like it to. i was considering getting the 17" MBP but i heard that it isnt good for rendering After Effects, Premire or FCP, and ive just heard problems...i really want a laptop though. does anyone have any suggestions on what i should get? thanks

oh yeah i edit mostly skateboard videos and some small projects here and there like weddings and such. but most of the time its just like 3-30 second clips and i do slow motion and titles and such. just letting you know what i do so maybe this will help.thanks again

Jonathan Bufkin July 20th, 2006 12:20 PM

man...i am surprised that the G5 with 1 gig of ram won't handle your 30 second videos or the ocassional longer videos. is it a dual processor? i'm assuming not since you didn't include it in your post.

Jon Bufkin
http://web.mac.com/bufdaddy

Shane Ross July 20th, 2006 07:28 PM

The G5 tower should be able to handle it...but 1GB RAM is not much. I suggest at lease 1.5GB...better yet 2.5GB.

And the MB Pro does WONDERFULLY with FCP, as long as it is 5.1, the Universal version. All other versions run in emulation mode, called Rosetta. Same with After Effects...emulation mode.

If you get the MBPRO, get the FCP 5.1 universal version. But your G5 should be fine...with a little more RAM.

Kevin Odell July 21st, 2006 09:31 AM

oh im sorry i wasnt clear...i do have a dual processor...and when i say3-30second clips i mean hundreds of small clips like that. see cuz like a skatetrick is only 3-30seconds long but you gotta make likea 30 min long video out of them so there is more than 1.i got my G5 used and i dont like the way it runs...and i do want something portable despite all the bad things ive heard about the new MBP should i still get one? i need to render AE and FCP will the laptop be able to handle that with out over heating??? thanks

Cannon Pearson July 21st, 2006 10:02 AM

My Macbook Pro gets pretty warm, but it hasn't really been a problem. It hasn't burst into flames or anything. I use it on a laptop stand not my lap, and I often put a Podium Pad underneath it so that air circulates under it.

I prefer editing on the Macbook to a tower, because I can scrub and scroll easily with the trackpad.

Kevin Odell July 21st, 2006 11:04 AM

i would never actually use it on my lap...but i mean do you think its worth it for me to get one??? like will it have the speed of my G5??? and everything??? thanks for everyones help

Cannon Pearson July 21st, 2006 11:21 AM

I can't vouch for it since I don't have a G5, but I've heard it said that the Intel machines are equivalent to or better than a 2.0 GHz G5. The iMac seems to get slightly better numbers.

My tower is a Dual 1 GHz G4 and the Macbook Pro kicks the crap out of it. I can now play with compositing blend modes without having to wait 30 minutes to render out a sequence just to see if it's going to work or not.

I love having a laptop. I it's awesome that I can work in bed, the bathroom, coffeehouses or wherever I can carry it.

Mike Kim July 21st, 2006 04:27 PM

There are many benchmarks and performance tests done between the new Intel vs. PPC macs. Search in Google or any mac forum.

Here's an example of Final Cut 5.1 performance. Macbook Pro and a Dual G5, both equipped with 2 GB of RAM. http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...jsp?id=38816-0

The Macbook Pro seems to be slightly faster, not by a whole lot. If I were you, I would add more RAM to the G5... it's much cheaper and you still have a great computer.

Chuck Fadely August 24th, 2006 01:10 PM

If you're not happy with your G5, I'd try formatting and reinstall OSX from scratch -- it should be plenty fast for final cut!

chuck

Mike Teutsch August 24th, 2006 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon Pearson
My Macbook Pro gets pretty warm, but it hasn't really been a problem. It hasn't burst into flames or anything. I use it on a laptop stand not my lap, and I often put a Podium Pad underneath it so that air circulates under it.

I prefer editing on the Macbook to a tower, because I can scrub and scroll easily with the trackpad.

Ahh, you may want to check this out?!?!? :)

http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/n...14540002338450

Jeff Geissler August 24th, 2006 01:50 PM

my 2 cents

Well, you've come to the right 'side' of the forum...that being MAC!
Now... The Imac g5, mac mini, and Powermacs are all very capable of doing your dirty work for some pretty intensive projects... I have a powermac g5 (non-intel) and pretty much have the min. memory/ram-- it handled a 4+ hour DVD/concert edit with no problems what so ever... My friend bought an Imac g5- and he seems to be running everything fine... bootcamp/windows too!

I really don't think you can go wrong-- the bottom line is you have to decide which investment is right for you... for example:
-Will you want to upgrade in the future? If so- go with the most easily upgradeable...
-Do you have a small budget and can afford 'adequate' speed? Imac or mini...

As far as laptops, i'm not familiar with the game... my wife has an old Ibook(g4?)....It handles Adobe CS2, but its a bit slower than I can tolerate (only 512 ram?)... So... keep in mind, laptops can only upgrade so 'high'...well that can be said about any computer, but laptops tend to have the smaller max capacity in terms of ram...

Mac minis have all kinds of 'extention' boxes to add more ports and memory etc... cool stuff. Google it.

Best of luck-- I love my mac and wouldn't do it any other way... It just makes sense.

Cheers and best of luck!
~jeff

Jeff Geissler August 24th, 2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely
If you're not happy with your G5, I'd try formatting and reinstall OSX from scratch -- it should be plenty fast for final cut!

chuck

I agree- it should be plenty fast!

Just in case this may be the problem:Make sure you are using the right settings on your video/timelines in FCP-- it reduces the need to render every frame out and take 30 mins doing it...

But I have a power mac and I love it-- its not dual core, but it still handles anything I throw at it... (how much longer, I don't know... i'd like the intel chip...)