DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP Audio Capture w/ XL1s

When taping with the XL1s I use audio channels 1 & 2 for the lav mic and 3 & 4 for the boom.

When capturing via Firewire in Premiere, you can choose to capture audio from tracks 1/2, 3/4 or all 4 channels. Is this possible in FCP 5.1?
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #2
Wrangler

Yes it is, but you'll have to create your own capture preset from the Generic Capture Template. In the audio section of the template, you get to choose 1/2 or 3/4 or Mix all 4. Just don't forget to change your audio to 32K.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #3
New Boot

Generic Capture Template

At last Ii got a positive answer.I have 25 tapes already shot on my latest Doc so THANK YOU!, but please can you explain in a step by step way how actually, how I can do this?. I wish I never recorded in 4 audio tracks now. I come from Ireland and we say "everything that can go wrong will go wrong", I have been editing for about 2 years on my own docs, I was even nominated by the AFI for best feature doc of 2006. but sitting here in the north of Norway, I have NO help what so ever, so help a poor irish man in need.( and i mean poor, docs DO NOT MAKE MONEY

Thank you again Greg
David Kinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kinsella
At last Ii got a positive answer.I have 25 tapes already shot on my latest Doc so THANK YOU!, but please can you explain in a step by step way how actually, how I can do this?. I wish I never recorded in 4 audio tracks now. I come from Ireland and we say "everything that can go wrong will go wrong", I have been editing for about 2 years on my own docs, I was even nominated by the AFI for best feature doc of 2006. but sitting here in the north of Norway, I have NO help what so ever, so help a poor irish man in need.( and i mean poor, docs DO NOT MAKE MONEY

Thank you again Greg
See the attached example screen.
FCP Audio Capture w/ XL1s-capture-4-channel-demo-pic.jpg
Take note of the Quicktime audio settings.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:29 AM   #5
New Boot

Capture preset editor will not change video or Audio settings in HDV

Hello from Norway
Problems again
I copied your attachment showing the capture preset window, but when in HDV the Quicktime video settings has NO CHOICE and Quick time Audio settings has NONE and BUILT IN AUDIO, so as it is now I can not choose 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 audio channels to import ? any ideas ? as I said I am using FCP 5.1.1
Could you please if you can find the time give me all the Audio/video settings I need to edit my 4 channel audio from my canon XL H1 PAL in HDV
David Kinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm not certain HDV supports the 4-channel 32K format built into the DV spec, but someone correct me.

I found Greg's screen shot useful except for the video settings, which should be DV-NTSC should they not? Is this a Photo-JPEG capture setting?

- Loren
Loren Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite