where to get the best deal on a macbook pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM   #1
New Boot

where to get the best deal on a macbook pro?

i'm buying a macbook pro this week or next i just wanna make sure im getting the best deal. any ideas. im getting 15.4" macbook pro 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 100gb hard drive 7200 rpm, glossy widesceen with apple care...its like $3300 at the end of the day from mac.i found one on ebay but i dont wanna get something used even though it was only used for 3 months i still want something new. if you have any info on where or how to get the best price possible please let me know. thanks
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Kevin. We direct all "where to buy" queries to our sponsors because they make this site possible. Several of them sell Macs and you'll find the full list here: http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/

Of course there are also some well-known and reputable companies that sell Apple hardware, but unfortunately you'll need to take that discussion to another site. Thanks for your understanding.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Odell
i'm buying a macbook pro this week or next i just wanna make sure im getting the best deal. any ideas. im getting 15.4" macbook pro 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 100gb hard drive 7200 rpm, glossy widesceen with apple care...its like $3300 at the end of the day from mac.i found one on ebay but i dont wanna get something used even though it was only used for 3 months i still want something new. if you have any info on where or how to get the best price possible please let me know. thanks
Kevin,

On current Mac model computers, Apple requires all vendors to sell at the same price. Some can 'add in' third party extras to sweeten the deal, but they have to sell the machine for the same as anyone, inlcuding Apple. This is called price protection in the retail industry.

On discontinued models, dealers are allowed to adjust their prices to what the market will bear.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Some can 'add in' third party extras to sweeten the deal
That's the key to the whole thing. You can get a surprising amount of "stuff" thrown into your order for "free" if you shop around. However, like the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as a free lunch." The "free RAM" will generally have an installation fee which often approaches the prices of the RAM itself if purchased from a specialty company. You will be charged for the "free printer," and need to file one, two or even three different rebate forms and supporting documents to get the cost back three months later. Same thing for carrying cases and other stuff.

I got a "free DVD player" when I bought my daughter an iBook a couple years ago. That purchase also included "free" RAM, carrying case and printer probably something else I've forgotten. But I remember that it took - no kidding - several hours to download and fill out all the forms, cut UPC codes off the boxes, make copies of sales receipts and call the companies to clarify what they wanted. I believe there were a total of 7 different rebates. And as they trickled in 3 months later for $20, $30, $50 each I wondered if the whole thing was worth it just to get a bunch of extra stuff I didn't even really need...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
But I remember that it took - no kidding - several hours to download and fill out all the forms, cut UPC codes off the boxes, make copies of sales receipts and call the companies to clarify what they wanted. I believe there were a total of 7 different rebates. And as they trickled in 3 months later for $20, $30, $50 each I wondered if the whole thing was worth it just to get a bunch of extra stuff I didn't even really need...
Precisely, Boyd. And some of those 'rebate' companies were using delay tactics and false claims of not receiving the proper documentation to make people go away. And then the buyer goes to the vendor to complain and they say, "gee, we don't handle the rebates, you'll have to get with the rebate company." Of course, we've all seen HOW BIG the price after rebate is printed in the ads. So yeah, several months later, after wasting several hours of one's time, your big whopping $20 check comes in.

Sorry for the rant. ;-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite