DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 15th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #1
New Boot

looking to upgrade to mac pro but with questions

I'm looking to upgrade my suite to a mac pro. as it will be an expensive move, i plan to just have final cut express hd bundled with it for now. final cut studio can wait.

i have a question on express. does it support 24p? i dont want to waste my 24p footage as i wait to upgrade to fc studio.
[Chuck] XL2 with 20x lens on a Bogen/Manfrotto, PD170 with wide angle always used handheld, VX2000 also handheld, Panasonic Supercam w/ 14x Fujinon on a Cartoni, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Boris Fx, After Effects, 3D Max 7
Chuck Lozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Lozano
I'm looking to upgrade my suite to a mac pro. as it will be an expensive move, i plan to just have final cut express hd bundled with it for now. final cut studio can wait.

i have a question on express. does it support 24p? i dont want to waste my 24p footage as i wait to upgrade to fc studio.
No to my knowledge apple software dose not support 24p yet thats what everyone is waiting for including me.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams
No to my knowledge apple software dose not support 24p yet thats what everyone is waiting for including me.
Apple software, Final Cut Pro, most certainly does suooort 24p. It has for quite some time. Final Cut Express does not, however.

What everyone is waiting for is support for the Canon XL H1 24f format and the JVC HD100 720p24 format, natively.

There are work arounds for both though. I've been editing 24f footage shot with our XL H1 recently. Search the forums and you'll find the threads.
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
Apple software, Final Cut Pro, most certainly does suooort 24p. It has for quite some time. Final Cut Express does not, however.

What everyone is waiting for is support for the Canon XL H1 24f format and the JVC HD100 720p24 format, natively.

There are work arounds for both though. I've been editing 24f footage shot with our XL H1 recently. Search the forums and you'll find the threads.
Yes my mistake
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #5
New Boot

thanks

thanks for your replies. i might as well get avid express huh?
[Chuck] XL2 with 20x lens on a Bogen/Manfrotto, PD170 with wide angle always used handheld, VX2000 also handheld, Panasonic Supercam w/ 14x Fujinon on a Cartoni, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Boris Fx, After Effects, 3D Max 7
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Lozano
thanks for your replies. i might as well get avid express huh?
No, I would stick with Final Cut PRO which has full 24p support for your XL2 footage.
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #7
New Boot

hmm

i meant going buying avid express hd while i wait for more money coming in to buy the $1299 Final Cut Studio. Does Avid Express support 24p?

or to make this short, which NLEs supporting 24p should I purchase as a cheap alternative before I go full on with Final Cut Studio?
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hello,

I may have missed something in this thread, but Final Cut Studio IS the cheap alternative for 24p editing. Last time I checked (5 minutes ago) Avid Express Pro retails alone for more than Final Cut Studio. That's without hardware. The best advice on this question is always to buy the workflow you want on a system that you're comfortable growing with. The creative and professional talent takes care of the rest.

Hope that helps,

CJ Rogers
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Kino-Eye

For the past month I've been using Final Cut Pro 5.1, LiveType, and DVD Studio Pro on a Mac Book Pro and the tight integration between the three, the clean interface, and the fast performance rendering both DV and HDV footage makes this combination a winner. Final Cut Pro 5.1 really purrs along on the Mac Book Pro. The integration between the various applications in Final Cut Studio a real productivity boost. Now if only Sountrack Pro caught up with the rest of the applications (it still has lots of 1.0-esque issues).

No need to install Avid on the Mac Book Pro unless you prefer the Avid interface and/or some of its unique features (I don't want to start any skirmishes here, I have the highest respect for the Avid and I originally learned NLE on the Avid, but after crossing over to the other side, I've grown to love the interface and functionality of Final Cut Studio).
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #10
New Boot

I originally learned on FCP then on to Avid then to Premiere then to Pinnacle. Now I'm like the prodigal son going back to FCP. Its surprising that FC Studio would be the cheaper alternative even with the Avid software only bundle.

Right now i'm looking for a new SD DV editing suite because i really dont have the equipment for HDV and HDV still doesn't catch my fancy. I think well photographed SD footage played on CRTs are still, overall much better than the artifacting i find on HDV footage.

So everyone here agrees that i go directly with Final Cut Studio?

My last shot at cheap- does Avid Express DV support 24p??
Chuck Lozano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite