DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Capturing 720P30 with FCP5...

Anyone had trouble capturing 720p in FCP from the HD100? Mine stops capturing every time a new shot comes up, even when I deselect the "new clip on start/stop." BTW I'm posting this here as I haven't had any luck on the FCP forum.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Major Player

In your prefs, make sure that the "abort capture upon timecode break" option is not selected.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
In your prefs, make sure that the "abort capture upon timecode break" option is not selected.

Dan Weber
Yup, did that.
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Major Player

did you try trashing your prefs yet?

Dan Weber
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
did you try trashing your prefs yet?

Dan Weber
Yep. And I've unhooked any firewire devices as well.
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
Anyone had trouble capturing 720p in FCP from the HD100? Mine stops capturing every time a new shot comes up, even when I deselect the "new clip on start/stop." BTW I'm posting this here as I haven't had any luck on the FCP forum.
So when you say "stops capturing" do you mean it creates a new clip and continues to capture the next one, or the capturing process is stopped altogether?

If you didn't use REGEN TC, then each start/stop break will also be a TC break, therefore FCP will create a new clip.
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
So when you say "stops capturing" do you mean it creates a new clip and continues to capture the next one, or the capturing process is stopped altogether?

If you didn't use REGEN TC, then each start/stop break will also be a TC break, therefore FCP will create a new clip.
If I do a "capture now" it just stops capturing after one shot. If I do a batch capture, it will capture each shot as a new clip. However, the latter option is bad for the camera transport so I don't want to do that. TC is set to Regen. Timecode is continuous.
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #8
Tourist

Problems in post with FCP?

Hello,

I am considering going with the HD100's on a low budget feature project but am concerned about being able to use the footage with FCP.
I have FCP HD and am trying to figure out if I need another version of FCP or another third party software to make this work or another editing software all together to digitize and edit footage.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Sudbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Sudbury
Hello,

I am considering going with the HD100's on a low budget feature project but am concerned about being able to use the footage with FCP.
I have FCP HD and am trying to figure out if I need another version of FCP or another third party software to make this work or another editing software all together to digitize and edit footage.

scott,

you will need FCP 5.0 or later and it will work the best with 720p30 footage right now. you will have to jump through some hoops to work with 720p24 footage. the next update of FCP should address this issue.

do a search for FCP workflow on this site. Tim Dashwood has good experience working with FCP and HDV.

Dan Weber
Old August 16th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Sudbury
Hello,

Hi Scott... welcome to dvinfo.net.

There is plenty of info on this board with regards to 720P24 HDV support in FCP and current workarounds as well as the update demoed at NAB06.
Try searching for "FCP" and "720P24."

When do you plan to be doing your post-production on your film? It is possible that full HDV 720P24 support will be implemented in FCP5.1 before you even start post-production. There is no official ETA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
If I do a "capture now" it just stops capturing after one shot. If I do a batch capture, it will capture each shot as a new clip. However, the latter option is bad for the camera transport so I don't want to do that. TC is set to Regen. Timecode is continuous.
Bill, it sounds like you have your "on timecode break" setting set to "Abort Capture" in the user settings. Set it to "Make New Clip" and you should be able to use the "Capture Now" method through the whole tape.
Remember that with HDV two conditions must be met at the start/stop to prevent a timecode break.
#1: There can't actually be a TC break (you said you were using REGEN mode so unless you have blank spots in the tape your TC should be continuous.)
#2: There can't be a break in the GOP pattern. This is very hard to accomplish in HDV, so many times a start/stop will still register as a TC break even though the TC was continuous.

Ultimately, breaking the clips at start/stop breaks IS A GOOD THING for media management because it will help you avoid loss of sync that many people encounter when attempting to capture whole tapes as a m2t.
Attached Images

Old August 16th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #11
New Boot

Hey Bill,

FCP HDV 720p 30p does work, But if your up against a wall with your FCP capture issue, you could always try to capture using the AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) for 720p 30p. It seems to be a little less buggy than FCP's HDV 720p 30p.

The capture window will look different, (there are no "Start, Stop" software buttons and no logging capture window).

AIC will keep recording the incoming footage until you tell it to stop.

It's a short term workaround until FCP gets updated.
Corey Boutilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Boutilier
Hey Bill,

FCP HDV 720p 30p does work, But if your up against a wall with your FCP capture issue, you could always try to capture using the AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) for 720p 30p. It seems to be a little less buggy than FCP's HDV 720p 30p.

The capture window will look different, (there are no "Start, Stop" software buttons and no logging capture window).

AIC will keep recording the incoming footage until you tell it to stop.

It's a short term workaround until FCP gets updated.
Thanks for the advice. How much quality loss will I experience with the AIC?
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Bill, it sounds like you have your "on timecode break" setting set to "Abort Capture" in the user settings.
I had that option "unchecked", so that's not the issue.
Quote:
Set it to "Make New Clip" and you should be able to use the "Capture Now" method through the whole tape.
I tried that and it sort of worked... I wind up losing about 3-4 seconds off each shot, however, as FCP hurries to make a new clip out of each shot. I tried the same tapes on a friend's G5 and he was able to capture without issue. Maybe my G4's at fault? Or maybe I should reinstall FCP? Could it be that I'm running FCP 5.0.4 and not 5.1.1?
Quote:
#2: There can't be a break in the GOP pattern. This is very hard to accomplish in HDV, so many times a start/stop will still register as a TC break even though the TC was continuous.
How can I avoid this? Will changing TC to non-drop frame help?

BTW, thanks for your help -- MUCH more considerate than what I'm getting on the useless FCP boards at Apple.
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi there, Iv'e got the same issue with losing 3- 4 seconds at the head of every clip...... maddening when you lose the top of something you cant reshoot with enough rollup.....

So is it the camera or FCP?

Besides that, i love the fact that FCP makes a new clip at each button on/ button off. When shooting i take this into account and it makes logging and capturing much easier.....

Another good resource for FCP is www.lafcpug.org massive forums and lots of users means ,generally, a speedy reply......

However the forum users can be a bit impatient of FCP learners, of which i still am....
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
Hi there, Iv'e got the same issue with losing 3- 4 seconds at the head of every clip...... maddening when you lose the top of something you cant reshoot with enough rollup.....

So is it the camera or FCP?

Besides that, i love the fact that FCP makes a new clip at each button on/ button off. When shooting i take this into account and it makes logging and capturing much easier.....

Another good resource for FCP is www.lafcpug.org massive forums and lots of users means ,generally, a speedy reply......

However the forum users can be a bit impatient of FCP learners, of which i still am....
I wonder if these issues go away with the JVC HDV deck?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite