Capturing 720P30 with FCP5... at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Conway, NH
Posts: 574
Capturing 720P30 with FCP5...

Anyone had trouble capturing 720p in FCP from the HD100? Mine stops capturing every time a new shot comes up, even when I deselect the "new clip on start/stop." BTW I'm posting this here as I haven't had any luck on the FCP forum.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 696
In your prefs, make sure that the "abort capture upon timecode break" option is not selected.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Conway, NH
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
In your prefs, make sure that the "abort capture upon timecode break" option is not selected.

Dan Weber
Yup, did that.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 696
did you try trashing your prefs yet?

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Conway, NH
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
did you try trashing your prefs yet?

Dan Weber
Yep. And I've unhooked any firewire devices as well.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
Anyone had trouble capturing 720p in FCP from the HD100? Mine stops capturing every time a new shot comes up, even when I deselect the "new clip on start/stop." BTW I'm posting this here as I haven't had any luck on the FCP forum.
So when you say "stops capturing" do you mean it creates a new clip and continues to capture the next one, or the capturing process is stopped altogether?

If you didn't use REGEN TC, then each start/stop break will also be a TC break, therefore FCP will create a new clip.
__________________
Tim Dashwood
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Conway, NH
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
So when you say "stops capturing" do you mean it creates a new clip and continues to capture the next one, or the capturing process is stopped altogether?

If you didn't use REGEN TC, then each start/stop break will also be a TC break, therefore FCP will create a new clip.
If I do a "capture now" it just stops capturing after one shot. If I do a batch capture, it will capture each shot as a new clip. However, the latter option is bad for the camera transport so I don't want to do that. TC is set to Regen. Timecode is continuous.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Tourist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3
Problems in post with FCP?

Hello,

I am considering going with the HD100's on a low budget feature project but am concerned about being able to use the footage with FCP.
I have FCP HD and am trying to figure out if I need another version of FCP or another third party software to make this work or another editing software all together to digitize and edit footage.



Thanks,
Scott
Scott Sudbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Sudbury
Hello,

I am considering going with the HD100's on a low budget feature project but am concerned about being able to use the footage with FCP.
I have FCP HD and am trying to figure out if I need another version of FCP or another third party software to make this work or another editing software all together to digitize and edit footage.

scott,

you will need FCP 5.0 or later and it will work the best with 720p30 footage right now. you will have to jump through some hoops to work with 720p24 footage. the next update of FCP should address this issue.

do a search for FCP workflow on this site. Tim Dashwood has good experience working with FCP and HDV.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #10
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Sudbury
Hello,

I am considering going with the HD100's on a low budget feature project but am concerned about being able to use the footage with FCP.
I have FCP HD and am trying to figure out if I need another version of FCP or another third party software to make this work or another editing software all together to digitize and edit footage.
Hi Scott... welcome to dvinfo.net.

There is plenty of info on this board with regards to 720P24 HDV support in FCP and current workarounds as well as the update demoed at NAB06.
Try searching for "FCP" and "720P24."

When do you plan to be doing your post-production on your film? It is possible that full HDV 720P24 support will be implemented in FCP5.1 before you even start post-production. There is no official ETA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
If I do a "capture now" it just stops capturing after one shot. If I do a batch capture, it will capture each shot as a new clip. However, the latter option is bad for the camera transport so I don't want to do that. TC is set to Regen. Timecode is continuous.
Bill, it sounds like you have your "on timecode break" setting set to "Abort Capture" in the user settings. Set it to "Make New Clip" and you should be able to use the "Capture Now" method through the whole tape.
Remember that with HDV two conditions must be met at the start/stop to prevent a timecode break.
#1: There can't actually be a TC break (you said you were using REGEN mode so unless you have blank spots in the tape your TC should be continuous.)
#2: There can't be a break in the GOP pattern. This is very hard to accomplish in HDV, so many times a start/stop will still register as a TC break even though the TC was continuous.

Ultimately, breaking the clips at start/stop breaks IS A GOOD THING for media management because it will help you avoid loss of sync that many people encounter when attempting to capture whole tapes as a m2t.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Tim Dashwood
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #11
New Boot
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 19
Hey Bill,

FCP HDV 720p 30p does work, But if your up against a wall with your FCP capture issue, you could always try to capture using the AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) for 720p 30p. It seems to be a little less buggy than FCP's HDV 720p 30p.

The capture window will look different, (there are no "Start, Stop" software buttons and no logging capture window).

AIC will keep recording the incoming footage until you tell it to stop.

It's a short term workaround until FCP gets updated.
Corey Boutilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Conway, NH
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Boutilier
Hey Bill,

FCP HDV 720p 30p does work, But if your up against a wall with your FCP capture issue, you could always try to capture using the AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) for 720p 30p. It seems to be a little less buggy than FCP's HDV 720p 30p.

The capture window will look different, (there are no "Start, Stop" software buttons and no logging capture window).

AIC will keep recording the incoming footage until you tell it to stop.

It's a short term workaround until FCP gets updated.
Thanks for the advice. How much quality loss will I experience with the AIC?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Conway, NH
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Bill, it sounds like you have your "on timecode break" setting set to "Abort Capture" in the user settings.
I had that option "unchecked", so that's not the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Set it to "Make New Clip" and you should be able to use the "Capture Now" method through the whole tape.
I tried that and it sort of worked... I wind up losing about 3-4 seconds off each shot, however, as FCP hurries to make a new clip out of each shot. I tried the same tapes on a friend's G5 and he was able to capture without issue. Maybe my G4's at fault? Or maybe I should reinstall FCP? Could it be that I'm running FCP 5.0.4 and not 5.1.1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
#2: There can't be a break in the GOP pattern. This is very hard to accomplish in HDV, so many times a start/stop will still register as a TC break even though the TC was continuous.
How can I avoid this? Will changing TC to non-drop frame help?

BTW, thanks for your help -- MUCH more considerate than what I'm getting on the useless FCP boards at Apple.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #14
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 80
Hi there, Iv'e got the same issue with losing 3- 4 seconds at the head of every clip...... maddening when you lose the top of something you cant reshoot with enough rollup.....

So is it the camera or FCP?

Besides that, i love the fact that FCP makes a new clip at each button on/ button off. When shooting i take this into account and it makes logging and capturing much easier.....

Another good resource for FCP is www.lafcpug.org massive forums and lots of users means ,generally, a speedy reply......

However the forum users can be a bit impatient of FCP learners, of which i still am....
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Conway, NH
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
Hi there, Iv'e got the same issue with losing 3- 4 seconds at the head of every clip...... maddening when you lose the top of something you cant reshoot with enough rollup.....

So is it the camera or FCP?

Besides that, i love the fact that FCP makes a new clip at each button on/ button off. When shooting i take this into account and it makes logging and capturing much easier.....

Another good resource for FCP is www.lafcpug.org massive forums and lots of users means ,generally, a speedy reply......

However the forum users can be a bit impatient of FCP learners, of which i still am....
I wonder if these issues go away with the JVC HDV deck?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network