DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Hint needed to cut away a pause in FCP 5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/73833-hint-needed-cut-away-pause-fcp-5-a.html)

Johan Forssblad August 18th, 2006 04:22 AM

Hint needed to cut away a pause in FCP 5

Sorry to ask this silly question but I don't know the best way:

How do I get rid of a pause or lip smack in an audio track in FCP 5.1?
I know this is really basic but I probably make it too complicated.

I have a clip where a portion in the middle has to be removed. Do I have to add an edit after the pause (using the viewer to locate the right place precisely and mark), use "Make independetn Clip"on the second part and change name and then use the roll tool to move the last part to the left in the timeline to extinguish the pause? Then store it in a new sequense to use it as a new assembled clip for the video.
Or is there a way more simple way to just mark and delite a middle part in a clip? Thankful if some experienced can chime in! /Johan

William Hohauser August 22nd, 2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad

I have a clip where a portion in the middle has to be removed. Do I have to add an edit after the pause (using the viewer to locate the right place precisely and mark), use "Make independetn Clip"on the second part and change name and then use the roll tool to move the last part to the left in the timeline to extinguish the pause? Then store it in a new sequense to use it as a new assembled clip for the video.
Or is there a way more simple way to just mark and delite a middle part in a clip? Thankful if some experienced can chime in! /Johan

How about lowering the audio on the lip smack and placing some room tone on the ajacent audio tracks if the temporary change in audio is noticable?

Remove a pause? Just use the razor blade tool cut the pause out and pull the clip together. Either put a cut away shot over the jump cut or do a shot dissolve to soften the jump cut.

The complicated method you describe makes me wonder if you are trying to do something I don't understand from the description.

Ron Pfister August 24th, 2006 10:01 AM

That's probably not exactly the answer to what you asked, but Soundtrack Pro can beautifully get rid of lip smacks (either with the 'Clicks and Pops'-filter or by replacing the smack with ambient noise).

HTH,

Ron

Tim Dashwood August 24th, 2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad

Johan, I re-read your question and it sounds like you simply want to make a cut (ripple-delete) edit.

As a precaution, press CMD(Apple)+D to "deselect" all clips.
Mark and IN and OUT on your timeline around the spot you want to remove, then use SHIFT+DELETE to remove and close the gap simultaneously. This is simply known as a "cut" and is the founding principle of non-linear editing, and why it is so much more powerful than linear tape to tape editing.