DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ppt to fcp

I have a client who wants ppt slides in their video. I don't own a copy of ppt, so asked the client to save the slides as a jpeg and send them to me. Once inported into fcp the slides don't very good with text having some jaggy edges. Also the slides import very distroted at -50. I can fix the distortion but any ideas how I can get better quality jpeg slides?
Many Thanks, Aldo
Aldo Visaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

Just a thought.... can the client save the files as .pdf instead? That should give better results with text most of the time. Of course, you're limited to 720x480 with DV so small fonts are probably going to be a problem no matter what you do....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Boyd, I'll give that a try.
cheers, aldo
Aldo Visaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #4
Major Player

You can also export the following out of Power Point:

- GIF
- PNG
- TIFF
- Device Independant Bitmap

Unfortunately, you cannot adjust the quality settings when exporting.

You can export out as a PDF, but you will need one of those "Print to PDF" drivers.

Depending on how big the presentation is, I would get the client to take screenshots of each slide, bring them into Photoshop and save them as PSDs.

Another option would be to download a free version of the Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer, and do it yourself.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Major Player

In the past, when I have included powerpoint in video, I have obtained the ppt files, then exported it to a Quicktime file. Fairly easy to do, but for some reason I haven't (or at least wasn't) able to get the timing correct. In other words, some slides might last for 3 seconds, some for 1, with no rhyme or reason.

I would go into FCP, and cut up the Quicktime file into separate clips, and then use the fit to fill command to place the slides as needed.

It actually didn't take too long, looked great (although very small fonts just dont work at 720i no mater what you do).
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Major Player

I believe you can only export to Quicktime on the Mac version of Powerpoint. You cannot export a Quicktime file with Windows Powerpoint without 3rd Party Software. At least that's the case with the versions I've got. So if your client's got a Mac, you're set! If not, maybe purchasing a copy of Powerpoint isn't such a bad investment?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Inner Circle

As there is no anti-aliasing in powerpoint it dosn't really matter what you use it will almost always have lots of jaggies and twitter. I have neve been able to make powerpoints look nice.
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I've used Apple Keynote to import a PPT file, make text changes and export the text only with an alpha channel (export without background). The alpha channel gives you the option of adding a Photoshop or Illustrator backdrop and improve the overall look of the slides on TV. Keynote seems to produce a much better look with text and graphics than PPT, but I suppose that's what we expect from Apple. Also, work with your presenter to edit slides for TV audiences (limited text, more visuals). This strategy has worked for us and our presenters. I hope this helps,

CJ Rogers
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the replys folks.
Much Appreciated and good info.
Cheers, Aldo
Aldo Visaggio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite