Anyone used an external FireWire 800 HD with a Mac? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone used an external FireWire 800 HD with a Mac?

Has anyone used this hard drive?

non-sponsor link edited out

It's a Lacie external 600GB drive with a FireWire 800 interface... a freat buy for $320! My internal drives are just too small for the amount of video work I've been doing lately, so I'm considering this as a good disk to capture my footage on.

What I'm concerned with is the speed. How does it compare to an internal drive? I know FireWire 800 is supposed to be exremely fast, but I'm a little worried for video performace.

I edit SD with Final Cut Pro 5 on the 2GHz dual-core G5
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #2
Wrangler

A drive like this is good up to about 60mb/sec read and a little slower write. Enough speed even for uncompressed work, although it will bog down in places.

Way way way more than fast enough for DV work.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

like nate said it's more than enough for DV. I edit 720P DVCpro HD from an HVX on a firewire 800. Also I would check out the reliability of Lacie. I've had many problems with their "big disk" a firewire 800 disk. If i have my info correct, they have two 250 gig hard drives and its in a raid configuration. Good luck!
Philip Skaist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Skaist
like nate said it's more than enough for DV. I edit 720P DVCpro HD from an HVX on a firewire 800. Also I would check out the reliability of Lacie. I've had many problems with their "big disk" a firewire 800 disk. If i have my info correct, they have two 250 gig hard drives and its in a raid configuration. Good luck!
Some of their drives do have 2 internal drives, however I know the model I have is actually 1 5.25" 500GB drive. I haven't had any problems with mine.

But worth checking out.....
Matt Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm a longtime LaCie user but you have to be careful with them. I lost an entire drive due to a lightning strike and not even Diskwarrior could recover it.

They are perfect for multistream DV-- IF

1) you plug them in carefully at each end before powering up.
2) you don't daisychain them. Bring each drive in to a plug separately.
3) you plug them into a host adapter card-- get them off the main FW bus and any bus shared with your capture deck, camera, or an iSight camera.
4) you don't get any FW drive beyond 160 GB. More than this is a lot of data to lose and restore.

These days, I'm looking at SATA solutions.

HTH

- Loren
Loren Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #6
New Boot

I'm editing with an 800 fw external hard drive. I'm using HDV and DVCpro hd and so far I have not had a problem.
It's not a LaCie, it's a G-TECH hard drive. I tried to capture 720p uncompressed, but I was not able to. So if you stay with DV, HDV and DVCpro HD you should not have a problem.
Julian Banos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sometimes with my Lacie drives they just don't appear on my desktop. It took a bit of digging around and then I found something on this board (maybe another, not sure) that mentioned the problem isn't the drive but the power supply.

What I've found is that when you turn off your drive ALSO switch off the power to the power box. Leaving it on standby when your drive is off seems to be the cause of this non-appearance.
Daniel Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Loren, what's the problem with daisy chaining them? I've got three Lacie's daisy chained at the moment, and haven't noticed any issues. Should I be scared?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I always go with Other World Computing. I buy the Mercury Elite Pro FW 800. Extremely reliable. Mac magazines always rate them super high. They're made just for Macs. You can daisy chain. I've got four DC'd right now editing 720p HD with AIC.
Cal Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 07:12 PM   #10
New Boot

Hi folks. I have a dual FW800 dockable thing from Wiebetech, as well as some of their other stuff. They're mac freaks and make very good products. It's a bit more dough but I try to 'buy it once, buy it right' when I can afford to.

Best, Scott Loiselle
Scott Loiselle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite