DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What is a breakout box?

Okay, I know this question might sound stupid, but I am told that a breakout box is kind of like a router...patches audio/video signals to multiple sources. So what exactly does it do? You see, my job at a local television channel, we have 9 workstations, and not a singal breakout box. Each workstation has a production monitor and a tape deck. What would I need a breakout box for, and what does it do?
Bryan Aycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Wrangler

Well it usually isn't like a router because it's just a box with a bunch of connectors on it, not something which actively processes things. The term generally refers to a box with connectors for various things (audio, video) with a cable which runs back to an interface card in your computer. It provides a way to plug things in without dealing with the limited amount of space and tight quarters behind your computer.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Wrangler

Here's an example. A cable would link this to the interface card in your Mac:

http://www.aja.com/html_pop/k3_bp.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

So I can get by without it?

Can I get by without it if I'm working in a strictly DV environment? When would a breakout box be a requirement?
Bryan Aycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:11 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

You can get by without it, but unless you have audio and firewire in the front of your PC, it will be an annoyance. All it does, is basicly put all of your necessary connections where you can easily rech them. I suppose it depends on how much you like reaching around to plug stuff in.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:19 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Maybe you want something like a patch bay? (or jackfield)

They basically let you change connections around / patch things by putting cables into the front of the patch bay. A patch cable connects point A to point B. They are wired up in the back when you install it / set it up.

You can also set it up so things are normalled... point A will go to point B, except when you have a patch cable in it. point A's signal won't go to point B and will go to point C instead. So there's that logic to it.

If you had numerous decks a patch bay would be useful (so you don't have to constantly reconnect your gear for dubs and things like that). It doesn't sound like you're in that situation... but I'm just guessing.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite