Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 8th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

From DVD to FCP

Hey guys.

I've just received a DVD with some images we have to put on a project that's been edited on FCP5.
Does anybody knows how to "capture" the MPG2 from the DVD (it's not copy protected) and convert it to some Quicktime file that FCP would work with?

Cheers.

PP
Pedro Paiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Paiva
Hey guys.

I've just received a DVD with some images we have to put on a project that's been edited on FCP5.
Does anybody knows how to "capture" the MPG2 from the DVD (it's not copy protected) and convert it to some Quicktime file that FCP would work with?

Cheers.

PP
A shareware program like Cinematize can do the job as well as various freeware programs. Depending on your computer this can be a lengthy process or not so bad. I've found that this method can increase visual artifacts depending on the scene and the quality of the original mpeg2 file.

A quicker way and sometimes with better quality is to run the DVD player directly into your camera (use an S-Video cable) and either copy to tape or capture directly into Final Cut. The analog connection can soften mpeg artifacts.
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Get the free app called MPEG STREAMCLIP then just open your dvd in it and then do an export to Quicktime Movie and use all the same codec and compressor options that you are using in Final Cut then just import that and edit away! you can set in and out point in MPEG with the i and o keys just like to FCP if you want to work with just specific parts of the dvd.
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys !
PP
Pedro Paiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #5
Major Player

MPEG Streamclip is DA BOMB. I use it all the time to get stuff off DVD for clients and personal use. I have some excellent presets for making iPod movies as well, that are much better than what Apple offers in its iTunes Music Store videos.

Yesterday I used it to pull video from a PAL DVD for conversion to NTSC at work.
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #6
New Boot

Other than running an analog signal from a standard DVD player through my Canopus ADVC-300, I also find DVDxDV very handy when I want to extract only a specific selection from a DVD. You can save a little time and disc space by not having to extract an entire file.
Ernest Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #7
Major Player

MPEG Streamclip allows you to set in and out points before you save the clip so you only save what you need.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite