DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Setting inpoints (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/75074-setting-inpoints.html)

Jeff Mack September 8th, 2006 10:20 AM

Setting inpoints

I am trying to sync sub clips for a multi clip edit. When I find a spot on my audio waveform to add an inpoint, it is in the middle of a frame. Maybe I am a perfectionist but I want to make the inpoint EXACTLY on this particular clap on a waveform. When I try to expand out the audio in the viewer, the smallest increment I can get is when I set the meter to frames. When I try to set the inpoint, I can either set it at the beginning of a frame or the beginning of the next frame. Can anyone tell me how I can add the inpoint to an actual spot within the frame? BTW, I turned snapping off and it still would only add to the beginning of the frame. One other thing is that when I tried to move the inpoint by dragging it or by scrubbing the playhead, my waveforms wouldn't refresh so I could see it. The waveform disappeared and I had to scroll out and then back in to within 1 frame.

Jeff

Adam Oas September 8th, 2006 10:46 AM

Are you editing audio only? If so you can do sub frame editing.

If not there's no way to use just half a video frame. You can only cut on whole frames.

Jeff Mack September 8th, 2006 11:13 AM

Adam, you are getting to be a good asset. Looking forward to meeting you at the next FCP meeting. I am doing a music video edit with three cameras. I can't sync up the three clips because my T/C doesn't match (don't ask, I hired it out!). What I have to do to sync the three clips is set an inpoint based on the audio. Then when I do a multiclip based on inpoints, all three clips will be in poerfect sync. I seem to only be able to sync +/- 1 frame and I'd like to be exact.

Jeff

Adam Oas September 8th, 2006 12:29 PM

I've done a few multiclip edits, but it was before FCP had multiclip... what a PITA that was.

I had one camera that had a feed from a external audo board and only used that audio track (synched everything up and deleted the rest of the audios).

I really doubt if anyone could see a delay that was within 1/30 of a second audio wise. Are you trying to sync to a outside audio source (like a CD track)?

You might be able to futz with the audio in Soundtrack pro.

Nate Schmidt September 8th, 2006 12:51 PM

in fcp you can only set audio at less than one frame so you would have to unlink the audio from the video and then they would be out of sync but if you need to set an edit point within a frame double click your audio to load it into the viewer then zoom in to the fram level then hold shift and drag the playhead and then press i to mark your in point. Inside of soundtrack pro you can alos edit audio at the individual sample level but again i'm not sure how you'd cut your video to be in sync with that.

Jeff Mack September 8th, 2006 01:53 PM

Cool Nate, So I unlink the audio, set an inpoint on it and then sync the video back up? Will this work. I guess this will make my multiclip match on the audio but what about cuts? All three clips migh not (and probably won't) line up on the same frame.

Jeff

Nate Schmidt September 8th, 2006 09:10 PM

You'll be able to sink the audio like that but there is now way to cut video sub-frame so you may be stuck.