DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP 5.1.2 NOW AVAILABLE with 720P24 & 720P25 native support (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/75138-fcp-5-1-2-now-available-720p24-720p25-native-support.html)

Tim Dashwood September 9th, 2006 06:32 AM

FCP 5.1.2 NOW AVAILABLE with 720P24 & 720P25 native support

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE Sept 26: FCP 5.1.2 is now available for download. http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...cutpro512.html

or you can run "software update."

Please Note: I have just tested this version's "Easy Setup" for HDV 720p24 and it does not properly set the device control. For proper HDV 23.98fps TC capture you should simply go into "Audio/Video Settings" and select:
"HDV - 720p24" as your Sequence Preset
"HDV" as your Capture Preset
Duplicate the "HDV Firewire NDF" device preset and change the frame rate to 23.98. See this post for more specific instructions.

BR-HD50 Users will need to update their firmware to properly capture with FCP v5.1.2.
Please see this thread for more information.

ORIGINAL POST:
The reports are starting to flow in from IBC. Mike Curtis has posted some info at HDforIndies, and our very own Chris Hurd is on the floor in Amsterdam collecting information for us.

Bottom line: No more fiddling with LumiereHD, HDVxDV, DVHSCap or MPEGStreamclip.

FCP 5.1.2 will fully support the capture (with TC), editing, and output of JVC's ProHD 720P24 and 720P25
(along with the already long-time supported 720P30.)
The only catch is that we will probably have to wait until October for the release.

This free update will only be available to FCP5.1 owners. If you own FCP5.0 or an earlier version, now is the perfect time to order your Universal Crossgrade to FCS 5.1.

If v5.1 is installed on your system, you should be able to run the software update app from the Apple menu to automatically update FCP 5.1 or 5.1.1 to 5.1.2. (when the update is officially released.)

Rumour is this release will also add:
P2 faster import, batch import, preview before import
XDCAM HD native support for all frame rates and resolutions
Canon 24F native support

Warren Shultz September 9th, 2006 06:43 AM

Great news Tim!
(Please remove the thread I started a minute after you did!)

Greg Boston September 9th, 2006 08:09 AM

Thanks Tim, this is the news I was hoping for.

-gb-

Steve Benner September 9th, 2006 08:26 AM

Thank the gods!!!! Still waiting on Avid....

Ben Chace September 9th, 2006 10:56 AM

Finally I'll be able to use my HD100 as I thought I would when I bought it a year ago! ... I have to say, owning one of these things has truly been a labor of love (or maybe just a labor depending on how you look at it). The image quality is stunning ... but she really makes you work for it ...

Antony Michael Wilson September 9th, 2006 11:13 AM

Avid PM told me December at the earliest. AXPro version 6.0.

Well at least we have some decent news from Apple. Looks like we may be ditching Avid (after 8 years+) for FCP soon anyway. Can't argue with the cost/features these days.

Shai Camerini September 9th, 2006 11:15 AM

Finally some great news

Chris Hurd September 9th, 2006 12:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Tim -- hope this helps -- I asked Apple and received pretty much the exact same answer as Mike Curtis, it's about a month away. Enjoy the attached pics. Click the thumbnail images to see them big.

Tim Dashwood September 9th, 2006 12:24 PM

Awesome Chris. Thank you.

Highway #4 has been published on the JVC UK site with the FCP article on page 22. There is also update information on Premiere Pro 2, Edius, & Avid (Liquid.)

Brian Duke September 9th, 2006 12:53 PM

How funny when I got this camera a year ago they told me that FCP5 would support it within a month. A year later we are still looking at a month later. At least it looks promising =)

Antony Michael Wilson September 9th, 2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
How funny when I got this camera a year ago they told me that FCP5 would support it within a month. A year later we are still looking at a month later.

LOL!

Very similar story with Avid. Odd, really.

Rogelio Salinas September 9th, 2006 01:11 PM

Will FCP 5.1.2 allow for editing 60P with the new JVC HD200 & 250?

Tim Dashwood September 9th, 2006 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogelio Salinas
Will FCP 5.1.2 allow for editing 60P with the new JVC HD200 & 250?

No. 24P, 25P, 30P HDV1 only. However, I'm sure the transition will be much faster and easier for Apple with 50P and 60P since there will be no skipped frames/flagged frames to think about.

David Knaggs September 9th, 2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
"Bottom line: No more fiddling with LumiereHD, HDVxDV, DVHSCap or MPEGStreamclip.
FCP 5.1.2 will fully support the capture (with TC), editing, and output of JVC's ProHD 720P24 and 720P25
(along with the already long-time supported 720P30.)
The only catch is that we will probably have to wait until October for the release."

Wonderful news, Tim! And thank goodness they're including 25p!

David Scattergood September 10th, 2006 05:32 AM

So all these workflows kindly posted by some of you folks can eventually be put to one side?!?
Shame, I was looking forward to wrestling with all the various plug ins and shortcuts to enable HDV footage!

Slightly off subject but does anyone know of companies who offer mac & s/w packages i.e. iMac with FCP studio (and logic pro 7 for that matter) bundled at a discounted rate?

Jemore Santos September 10th, 2006 07:01 AM

HDV SD 50p and 60p

Do you reckon HDV SD 60p and 50p will ever be recognized natively on FCP or will just keep on working with mpeg streamclip forever?

It's better late then never with 24p and 25p!

Scott Jaco September 10th, 2006 09:06 AM

My question is.....did apple fix the capture problem where we loose 4 seconds between each clip w/ scene detection?

I'm using AIC to capture 720/30p. It is a good work around to avoid loosing the first 4 seconds of each clip. Do you think apple fixed this? I would love to capture native HDV footage.

Rob Flate September 14th, 2006 12:10 PM

Oh Lord thankyou. I have just bought a Mac Pro and Lumiere HD and spent the day screaming at both. I decided to take 5 minutes to compose myself before going back for more torture when I read this post. I am not kidding when I say it made me cry with joy. Shame I wasted £100 on Lumiere HD (which I personally think is a terrible excuse for a piece of software) but it's gonna be interesting to see what happens to the one trick pony that is Lumiere corp!

Rob.

P.S. I'm still crying

Antony Michael Wilson September 14th, 2006 02:59 PM

There's going to be hysterical joy around here when Avid finally gets their act together - that's if we haven't died of frustration first.

John Vincent September 14th, 2006 03:44 PM

Hmmmm...

Not to be too cynical - but I'll believe it when I can buy it. There have been a lot of promises by a lot of editing software companies that either never happened, or took much longer than promised. FCP is still in the former catagory for me as a JVC user.

This might, however, keep me on the fence a bit longer if I was buying a new system soon. Unfortunately, I couldn't wait (Pro2). Would've loved to have gotten FCP as I'm a Mac guy normally, but the show must go on...
john
evilgeniusentertainment.com

Tim Dashwood September 26th, 2006 03:23 PM

FCP 5.1.2 Now Available for download

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...cutpro512.html

Or run Software update.

Andrew Young September 26th, 2006 03:33 PM

Say hello to 720p24 native on FCP!

I just downloaded it and did a quick capture test from the BR-HD50. All looks good. Haven’t tried output yet. Did not see support for HDV-SD60p

A grab bag of other goodies is also in there including DVCProHD 1080pA24, HDV 1080p24 (24F a la Canon) and XDCAM HD at 35 Mbs VBR. Man we’ve waited a long time for this. Thank you Apple!

(Note: you need to have the 5.1 crossgrade in order to get in on the action.)

Andrew Young September 26th, 2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
My question is.....did apple fix the capture problem where we loose 4 seconds between each clip w/ scene detection?

I'm using AIC to capture 720/30p. It is a good work around to avoid loosing the first 4 seconds of each clip. Do you think apple fixed this? I would love to capture native HDV footage.

It's still there. In fact, I'm getting closer to an 8 second loss. Not good.

David Knaggs September 26th, 2006 03:43 PM

Thanks for the tip-off (Andrew and Tim). I can't wait to try it out!

Jiri Bakala September 26th, 2006 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony Michael Wilson
Avid PM told me December at the earliest. AXPro version 6.0.

Well at least we have some decent news from Apple. Looks like we may be ditching Avid (after 8 years+) for FCP soon anyway. Can't argue with the cost/features these days.

Same here... I really wish that Avid is reading this!

Hayes Roberts September 26th, 2006 05:41 PM

Yaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Benner September 26th, 2006 05:45 PM

Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 will not open. The download sucked. I am not happy.

Greg Boston September 26th, 2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Benner

Worked for me. Did you have 5.1 already? You can't go directly from 5.0.4 to 5.1.2, it's a 49USD upgrade.

-gb-

Tim Dashwood September 26th, 2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

Just run Software Update from the Apple menu. It is so much easier and will also update Pro Applications and Cinema Tools automatically.

Steve Benner September 26th, 2006 06:16 PM

I have 5.1.1

Ran it from the software update menu. Program will not open and Cinema Tools is gone. I tried re-downloading it from the Apple website and it did nothing. The program tries to open and then has a fatal error and closes.

The Apple Support Message Boards are down currently. Does anyone know who I can talk to at Apple?

Tim Dashwood September 26th, 2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

I have 5.1.1

Ran it from the software update menu. Program will not open and Cinema Tools is gone. I tried re-downloading it from the Apple website and it did nothing. The program tries to open and then has a fatal error and closes.

The Apple Support Message Boards are down currently. Does anyone know who I can talk to at Apple?

It is weird that the Apple FCP forum is down. I just checked and it is still down.

Has v5.1.1 worked properly for you in the past?
Have you always used Software Update to perform updates?
Are you running OS X 10.4.7?
Are you running Quicktime 7.1.3?

A fresh re-install from the original FCP 5.1 discs might fix it all for you.

Carl Martin September 26th, 2006 06:53 PM

Quote:

It is weird that the Apple FCP forum is down. I just checked and it is still down.

Has v5.1.1 worked properly for you in the past?
Have you always used Software Update to perform updates?
Are you running OS X 10.4.7?
Are you running Quicktime 7.1.3?

A fresh re-install from the original discs might fix it all.

I just checked the forums, and they are back online.

William Hohauser September 26th, 2006 07:10 PM

Downloaded it. It works. Noticed something interesting.

Take a look at the video scopes while running the timeline.

Steve Benner September 26th, 2006 07:12 PM

I am just going to do a re-install and see what happens. Thanks for the help, and yes, 5.1.1 worked flawlessly.

Tim Dashwood September 26th, 2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser
Take a look at the video scopes while running the timeline.

This is great. The scopes now do live updating!

There's a whole load of improvements in this area. More info in the "Late Breaking News" document.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Fin..._5.0_lbn_z.pdf

Steve Benner September 26th, 2006 07:48 PM

Quote:

This is great. The scopes now do live updating!

God I wish I could see that for myself....One other person on the Apple forum apparently has the same problem, but I have no idea how Apple is going to fix my problem.

Steve Benner September 26th, 2006 08:03 PM

AVID codecs caused the crash of FCP 5.1.2

Someone figured out the problem and it has to do with conflictions between FCP and the Avid Quicktime Codecs. I deleted the quicktime codecs and FCP opened. Now someone has to come up with an answer for the Avid codec problem, but it is a next step.

Brian Duke September 26th, 2006 11:55 PM

Will this work natively with the DR-100?

Tim Dashwood September 26th, 2006 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Will this work natively with the DR-100?

I haven't tested that yet. When I did try to capture 720P24 as quicktime with the DR-HD100 (about a month ago)the files were still flagged as 29.97 frame rates, even though the software kept only the 24 frames. Cinema Tools was unable to conform the frame rate down to 23.98 because it was a HDV file.

I'm sure Focus will work on a 24P solution for FCP now that the update has been released. Representatives of theirs have said this repeatedly.

Scott Jaco September 27th, 2006 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Jaco

Well the 24p works fine but the 4-6 second gaps keep happening between subclips. There is no AIC for 720/24p either so you are screwed. Just make sure to pre-roll all your clips if you are going to shot 24p.

Looks like I'll still be using AIC 720/30p