DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Format Problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/75551-format-problems.html)

Niels Neeskens September 15th, 2006 04:41 AM

Format Problems

Hey everybody,

I filmed in squeeze 16:9 SD and I edited in a timeline with the easy setup DV Pal 48 Khz. I made a project for a very big flatscreen tv for a conference. I made a menu in DVD Studio Pro by exporting the project from Final Cut trough compressor on DVD Best quality 90 minutes (should this be 120? for better quality?). If I play the DVD on the tv I still see the bars and the footage looks squeezed. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance
Niels

Nate Schmidt September 15th, 2006 08:38 AM

If Final Cut select the sequence in the browser and go to Sequence-Settings then place a check in the anamorphic box which will make the sequence widescreen, then your clips will all looked squished so highlight everything and go to Edit-Remove Attributes put a check only in the distort which will remove the "squishiness" then export using compressor 16:9 on DVD Best quality at whatever length is closest but over your movie ex anything less that 90 min use that. Then if you are authoring in DVD Studio Pro you will have to change the DVD ration to 16:9 Letterbox which will play full screen on a 16:9 TV and letterbox on a 4:3 TV.

Niels Neeskens September 17th, 2006 08:47 AM

Thanks a lot Nate,
It works but I still have the bars in livetype clips in the sequence which I can't remove... Any idea on that?

Niels

Nate Schmidt September 17th, 2006 10:18 AM

Find your livetype clip in the browser and scroll over the the anamorphic column and place a check mark this should stretch out your clip, you may need to jump back to livetype to make your text thinner because this method will stretch it out to fill the frame check this out for more info http://www.macvideopro.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=61800

Niels Neeskens September 17th, 2006 11:11 AM

I don't get the last one Nate. I have a project in Final Cut that includes Livetype clips. If I change the sequence settings in anamorphic and remove the distort attribute, most of the normal footage is good, but some are, like the livetype clips look still squeezed and have bars. I tried to take the anamorphic check away in those clips, but I can't change the settings. Which anamorphic column which I have to check do you mean. I appreciate your help Nate, thank you for that!

Niels

Nate Schmidt September 17th, 2006 12:33 PM

If you scroll over in the browser there should be a column that says anamorphic all your 16:9 material should have a checkmark there and so should your livetype titles. If after you put the checkmark they still look weird try deleting them from the timeline and then putting them back from the browswer again.

Niels Neeskens September 18th, 2006 02:36 AM

It works! I deleted them and put them back and it looks great now. 16:9 looks great, the only thing that is still weird, is that I don't get bars on a 4:3 tv.

Niels

Niels Neeskens September 18th, 2006 03:29 AM

I have another project which I have sort of the same problems with, if I don't ask to much. But it had the same problems, but those I can fix in the same way, but I have some 4:3 footage (footage from a tv station, which broadcast in 4:3) in this project as well. So 16:9 with 4:3 footage. If I do the anamorphic and remove the distort, the 4:3 off course still looks squized. Is there some way that the 16:9 footage with sequence settings anamorphic can be combined with 4:3 footage. Thanks a lot!

Niels

Nate Schmidt September 18th, 2006 08:12 AM

If you mix 4:3 and 16:9 you'll have bars on something, but you could try this with your 4:3 stuff you could scale each clip up so that it fills the entire 16:9 frame but you are going to lose the top and bottom of the picture and if you scale it up that much it might look too soft. Give it a try and see if it looks ok.

Niels Neeskens September 18th, 2006 10:54 AM

Thanks again Nate!

Niels

Nate Schmidt September 18th, 2006 12:32 PM

Glad I could be of assistance! :-)

Niels Neeskens September 18th, 2006 01:38 PM

Nate, sorry to bother you again, but when I play the dvd on a widescreen tv it is good, but on a 4:3 tv it looks stretched and without bars, what am I doing wrong here?

Niels

Nate Schmidt September 18th, 2006 02:42 PM

Don't worry its no bother! And this issue is totally not your fault, there should be a setting somewhere in the menu of the DVD player that will correct the problem basically the DVD player thinks that it is hooked up to a widescreen tv, there should be a setting to changet that in which case it will either crop off the edges or letterbox the image. I'm not sure which it will do it depends on the disc and the player.

Niels Neeskens September 18th, 2006 03:05 PM

Ah ok, many thanks for everything!

Niels