DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 21st, 2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ripping and Editing DVDs

Hey everyone. I have 2 G5s and I want to be able to pull stuff from a DVD and edit sections of it, and then burn it back on to DVD to show in a psychology class. I was wondering what I would need to do this. On my PC I use a pinnacle studio 9 and a DVC90 to rip stuff from an RCA output on my DVD player. I have done it on PC before but never on a Mac and for this project I have to use school supplied computers. Any help would be great.
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

Cinematize is one program which I think does this, but I've never used it:

http://www.miraizon.com/products/products.html

To edit the footage you would use Final Cut Pro, but maybe Final Cut Express or iMovie would work? I'm not sure that this ripping software will work with copy protected material however.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Get MPEG Streamclip to rip the dvd's into dv video which you can edit in any app FCP iMovie etc..
Old September 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Cinematize is one program which I think does this, but I've never used it:

http://www.miraizon.com/products/products.html

To edit the footage you would use Final Cut Pro, but maybe Final Cut Express or iMovie would work? I'm not sure that this ripping software will work with copy protected material however.
It's a reasonably good program. It's useful for rearranging the tracks on already muxed DVDs. I use it quite a bit every week. The QuickTime DV files it extracts are OK, although I've had some audio sync problems that I can't place the cause.

If the DVDs are copy-protected then you are in a gray zone. Cinematize will not extract these DVDs at all. I have done work for large film companies who, for various reasons, can only get archival footage from commercial DVD releases. This requires me to use a couple of peices of analog equiptment to get the scenes into the computer. However this is with the permission of the copyright holder!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite