Cool Effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 1st, 2006, 09:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cool Effect

Hi i came across this effect in tis video on youtube, its kind of cool, just wondering if anyone has experience or knows how to achieve the effect

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kLiagBbSryY

The effect takes place around 2mins 26secs and again at the begining of the 3rd min.

Any thoughts and suggesstions would be appreciated, i would be attempting to try this in final cut

Regards
Ismail
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismail Aslam
i would be attempting to try this in final cut
It's Adobe AfterEffects.

An awesome app with a great pedigree and all the power one could need - but hey, I'm biassed - I've got 9 years with AfterEffects, and I still can't quite get Apple's Motion to do what I want to do.

The process is to get your stills lined up, perhaps taken into Photoshop to get the cut-outs prepared as a 'Channel 4 alpha', or do it yourself in AE. AfterEffects has a 3d engine so you can ever so slightly fake sliding in elements of your final picture (e.g. you've cut out the back wall, the chairs, the side wall and imported them separately), and add motion blur to give the hint of reality.

If you're brave, you can do animated mattes, so the sliding-in includes motion too - lots of time, but incredible results.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt, I'l have to have a look at it
Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:24 AM   #4
Major Player

There are lots of programs capable of this. After Effects is certainly one.
Shake is another (and it's less expensive than AE and runs natively on intel Macs.) If you have Final Cut Studio you could use the masking tools in Motion.

The masks are being applied to a single frame, then the each masked area of the frame are moved in or out of the frame.

If it were me, I'd probably create the masks using photoshop on the single frame, then just do the animation by keyframing the position of the masked pieces right in FC.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite