DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 2nd, 2006, 04:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Disabling Start/stop detection during Capture Now

I want to capture entire tapes, but when I do so it automatically creates new clips on each start/stop point, which sounds great, except that there's a 4 second gap at the beginning of each take. I know I should have done pre-roll, but in some cases I didn't and I don't want to lose the beginning of so many takes.

Any way to disable this function, capture the tape completely, then create subclips?
Craig Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Craig:
Read through this thread to see how some people are dealing with this problem.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=75138&page=4

good luck
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Packard
I want to capture entire tapes, but when I do so it automatically creates new clips on each start/stop point, which sounds great, except that there's a 4 second gap at the beginning of each take. I know I should have done pre-roll, but in some cases I didn't and I don't want to lose the beginning of so many takes.

Any way to disable this function, capture the tape completely, then create subclips?
In Audio/Video setup, go to capture preferences. Go to the 'On Timecode Break' and you have 3 choices. It defaults to make new clip. You should set it to 'warn after capture'.

Hopefully this will eliminate the issue.

-gb
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the suggestions

I did find that suggestion soon after posting, and it seems to have worked pretty well. I did the HDV Firewire NDF duplication and changed the pre and post roll to 1 second. I have had a couple captures interrupted, but I don't think it has been that many and nothing crucial so far. Fingers crossed...

I am surprised that there appears to be no way to change the default setting so you could capture the entire tape. I understand this used to be the way DV footage was handled. Maybe that was only with cameras without timecode?
Craig Packard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite