DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Default Transition Length? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/76794-default-transition-length.html)

Jeff Krepner October 4th, 2006 09:37 AM

Default Transition Length?

Okay, so this is such a 101-level question, but I can't figure out how to change the default length from 30 frames to 15 frames on the default transition... the one that gets applied with the (apple button+T). I can change the default transition, but the time is throwing me.

Otherwise, the "transition" from Vegas to FCP has been pretty painless thus far. But I do miss being able to overlap two clips and have the transition apply and adjust accordingly like it does in Vegas.

Thanks.

Cody Lucido October 4th, 2006 10:31 AM

If you are talking about FCP:

If you want to change the length of a transition, you can do so in the effects tab. Find the transition you want and double click on the duration and it will allow you to set it.

If you want to change the length of a transition in the timeline, just double click and set the new duration.

I hope that helps.

Martin Pauly October 4th, 2006 11:30 AM

Jeff,

I am not at my Mac to try it out, but have you tried the following options:

- Create a "favorite" transition in the "Effects" tab of the browser by dragging a customized transition of the desired duration from a sequence into the "Favorites" bin. You should then be able to make this customized tranisition your default transition.

- Not quite as powerful, but maybe still useful: you can copy and paste transitions in a sequence, including the duration information. Of course, if you copy or cut anything else into the clipboard, your tranisition needs to be re-copied, but depending on the circumstances it may help.

Good luck!

- Martin

Jeff Krepner October 4th, 2006 11:43 AM

Martin, I'll try later when I get in front of the Mac, but I think that will work. I tried to set the length of the standard crossdisolve to 15 frames then saved it as my default transition, but I didn't move it to the favorites folder first.

Cody, sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, in FCP. I'm fine with changing the length of transitions, but I was referring to the default transition that gets applied when you right click between clips and apply transition. The darn thing defaults to 30 frames, and that's too much for my taste and I'm working on a project where the client wants 15 frame dissolves. I'm just too lazy to change each one in the sequence by hand and it's challenging for me figuring stuff out going from Vegas on PC to FCP on Mac.

Thanks everyone.

Jeff

Jeff Zimmerman October 8th, 2006 02:28 PM

Transition Lengths in FCP

Here's how I do it. Make your dissolve transition between desired clips. Right click and change duration to lets say ":10 frames" then hit enter. Then click and drag the modified dissolve from the sequence to your "Favorites Folder" in the effects tab. Let go. It then shows up in there as a 10 frame dissolve "right click" select as "Default Transition". Now your default transition is a 10 frame dissolve. You can save all your favorite transition lengths in there without messing with the original transitions. This is nice if other people use the system so your preferences don't mess with theres.

Eric Dyer October 14th, 2006 03:23 AM

From the timeline

you can also drag modified transitions from the timeline by dragging them from the timeline to the favorites bin. So if you want to change a dip to color which I think is defaulted at black at 30 frames, you can drop it in the timeline and change it to another color at 20 frames then drag that into your favorites, that's how I do it.