DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #1
New Boot

FCP 5 and 16:9 final output

Hello all. Quick question here. My source clips are 16:9 widescreen, shot with a Canon XL2 at 24p. When played alone, as QT files in fullscreen, they stretch all the way to the side of the monitor, true widescreen.

When the same project with those files edited is exported, the widescreen remains, but the sides are blacked out, as if it's 4:3 with a widescreen matte. How can I export my project to have it be "true" widescreen?

I understand it's in the settings, but I'm not sure exactly. Any help appreciated.
Burt Farber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Farber
Hello all. Quick question here. My source clips are 16:9 widescreen, shot with a Canon XL2 at 24p. When played alone, as QT files in fullscreen, they stretch all the way to the side of the monitor, true widescreen.

When the same project with those files edited is exported, the widescreen remains, but the sides are blacked out, as if it's 4:3 with a widescreen matte. How can I export my project to have it be "true" widescreen?

I understand it's in the settings, but I'm not sure exactly. Any help appreciated.
How are you exporting? What are you exporting to? If it's with Compressor and you pick a setting that does not say 16:9 in the title, QuickTime 7 web download for example, you will have to adjust the settings yourself.
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Major Player

It soudns like your editing in FCP was done with a 4:3 sequence. To check that just select your sequence in the browser and go to Sequence-Settings. There should be a checkmark in the anamorphic box, if not put one there. When you close the box your clips will looked stretched to fix that just Edit-Select All then Edit-Remove Attributes. Put a check mark in the distortion box and everything should look right.
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #4
New Boot

William, yes it was exported 16:9, but I checked and saw that my sequence settings, as Nate said, were 4:3. Could have sworn they were 16:9. However, even with the sequence changed, and the thing exported as anamorphic, I still get the black bars on the side. They are matted top and bottom, so the picture isn't squeezed, but it isn't extending to the sides.
Burt Farber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite