CRT Monitor - keep it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

CRT Monitor - keep it?

I am making room for my new iMac (dual 2 core 24") set up and associated kit and find myself left with a 19-21" CRT monitor (convinced it was 21" but measures more like 19...perhaps actual screen size is 19??).
Deciding what to do with this, I thought I could either give it away (local school etc); sell it (would I get much for one these days?) or just take it to the local refuge...then it struck me that I could perhaps keep this and integrate it with my iMac when video editing??? Obviously it isn't HD but the colours and sharpness are still great (still superior to LCD's imo).
The only free port I can now find on the back of the machine is, well, a monitor shaped icon...and I think I read the intel iMacs can be monitor-out enabled?? If so, I assume I will need an adaptor as the CRT had a hardwired parallel lead only.
Now if I can, it means I have the option of another screen for editing video - monitoring the timeline for example.
Sound about right - new to FCP (only recently installed the program) so not entirely sure how to set this up.

Many thanks.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can purchase a monitor adapter for the CRT from Apple. It'll be a good way to expand your desktop screen space. Plug it in, go to Displays in System Preferences and set up the second monitor. Reasonably easy.
Old October 21st, 2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks William. I've found the adaptor you mentioned on the apple site. I'll pop down the apple store and purchase one. In general, do people tend to use the second monitor as a large timeline view/monitoring?
Cheers.
Old October 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Experiment with a work flow you like. Some people put the timeline on one screen, especially if they do a lot of multi-track work. Most people I know put the bins and scopes on the second screen but that's the people I know.

Personally, I don't like two monitors and have replaced the double monitor set-ups with single screens. I found that craning my head over the two computer screens and the video monitor was too much.
Old October 21st, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Yeah - I will give it a whirl and see for myself. Fortunately I already have the screen and therefore do not need to go out and purchase one. I don't have a real monitor to ouput however so I'll be using this as the monitor for some time.
Thanks William.
Old October 21st, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Actually, on the output monitor front - does the fact that most people are these days buying LCD/plasma screens make viewing the output on CRT monitors increasingly defunct? Or is it a case of using a professional LCD monitor at the cost of a few thousand £'s/$'s??
Either way I can't afford the option at the moment!
Cheers.
Old October 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Nope, nothing beats a real CRT video monitor yet. Computer CRTs and video LCDs/Plasmas included. Some can get pretty close to useable for color correction but a regular video monitor is still better.
Old October 21st, 2006, 05:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Worth looking on ebay then for an unloved CRT vid monitor? :)
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:45 AM   #9
Inner Circle

No. Used CRTs can have subtle problems that aren't evident in eBay listings.

Just go to a place with lots of old CRTs... you'll see the problems. CRTs' phosphors also degrade as they get hit by electrons... more use and the characteristics of the phosphors will change.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Cheers Glen - I guess I'll be using the psar CRT monitor for some time then.
Be nice to spend on a decent CRT viewing monitor (and field monitor as it happens) but budget restraints make this currently impossible.

I'm hoping with the spare CRT as a monitor it will speed my workflow up somewhat.
Thanks folks.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite