DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Keyframing speed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/7826-keyframing-speed.html)

Justin Morgan March 18th, 2003 03:49 AM

Keyframing speed

Is there any way to Key frame the speed controls in Final Cut Express?

I would like a clip to start at normal speed and then gradually slow down over time. I can't see anything in the manual about how to do this. All I've thought of is cutting the clip down into lots of bits and then altering the speed individually and incrementally to each bit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Matt Stahley March 18th, 2003 10:03 AM

Joes Filters plug ins for FCP has a Time bender effct which lets you do this by setting keyframes to a single clip controlling the speed.Actually you can get this plug in for free by filling out a FCP survey.
www.joesfilters.com.

Ken Tanaka March 18th, 2003 10:54 AM

I second Matt's recommendation for Joe's Filters. I think that this toolkit is the best value for FCP plug-ins today.

The "free" alternative would be to use the razor tool to slice the clip into small chunks and set the speed for each chunk. It would not produce as smooth of a result as Joe's Time Bender, nor would it be as flexible.

Justin Morgan March 18th, 2003 11:16 AM

Thanks - will Joe's Filters work in Final Cut EXPRESS?

Jeff Donald March 19th, 2003 10:21 PM

FX Script and AE plugins will not work in FCX. I've not spent much time with FCX, but i can't think of a way to make the speed effect work the way you want. You thought on cutting up clips will work, but is time consuming

Ken Tanaka March 19th, 2003 11:05 PM

Joe's Filters are built with FXScript, not AfterEffects scripting. So they will work with Final Cut Express. See the Joe's Filters site for full information.

Readers should also note that Apple is apparently giving away copies of Joe's Time Bender, the filter discussed here, for free in exchange for completing a Final Cut Pro user survey. This is probably only applicable for FCP users, not FCX users.

Joe Maller March 20th, 2003 09:11 PM

Time Bender and FCE

Unfortunately Time Bender does not currently work with FCE because the plugin needs keyframes to create the time remapping effect. I'm working on a solution, but my plate's a bit full right now.

Thanks for all the great comments about the filters,

Joe Maller
www.joesfilters.com
Joe's Filters for Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express

Jeff Donald March 21st, 2003 06:25 AM

Sorry, I misstated the reason for Time Bender not working. FCX does not contain scripting, like FCP does. However, filter created with FX scripting do work in FCX. AE plugins do not work in FCX. The issue with Time Bender not working is due to the way FCX handles keyframes.

Justin Morgan March 21st, 2003 06:51 AM

Shame it doesn't work with FCE - after I filled in that pesky questionnaire too :(