DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Everything need rendering! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/78642-everything-need-rendering.html)

David Phillips November 1st, 2006 04:31 AM

Everything need rendering!

FCP3/MacG4
Hi
I guess I've inadvertantly hit a setting somewhere without realising it.
Each clip I drop into the timeline needs rendering. I also notice that the canvas window shows that the clip has been auto re-sized, thus requiring the render in the timeline.
What have I done? I'm tearing my hair out, well I would do if I had any!!
Viwer settings are, fit to window 52%
Canvas settings are fit to window 52%
I've tried all combinations of window settings without success.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
Cheeres, Dave

David Scattergood November 1st, 2006 06:49 AM

I've only just started using FCP over the past couple of days - I too have this issue, though I presumed it was native to FCP. I'm having to render small titles and audio also.
If there is indeed a 'switch' to turn this off then I'd like to know also.

Martin Mayer November 1st, 2006 07:49 AM

Your sequence settings almost certainly don't match your captured footage settings.

Use "Easy Setup" before capturing footage and before creating sequences.

BTW: Changing settings using "Easy Setup" AFTER you've created sequences and catured footage is too late. Sequence settings and captured footage settings won't change once created/captured. :-(

David Scattergood November 1st, 2006 07:51 AM

Thanks Martin - aside from taking the rendering process out of the equation (at least for a while) is it good practice to use easy set-up as standard?

David Scattergood November 1st, 2006 08:11 AM

Thanks Martin - aside from taking the rendering process out of the equation (at least for a while) is it good practice to use easy set-up as standard?

Martin Mayer November 1st, 2006 08:24 AM

Yes, I would always use it before anything else when setting up a new project. It makes ALL the settings you need, and more importantly: makes them all the same! (Which is probably the reason for your problem.)

Meryem Ersoz November 1st, 2006 09:14 AM

the minute you see this happening--"everything needs rendering"--it means a discrepancy in your desired formatting/outputting settings that needs fixed. drop everything and fix it immediately. you will save yourself hours of pain and suffering.

David Phillips November 1st, 2006 01:16 PM

Hi all, I think I've solved the problem.
The footage we are capturing came fom a customers Sony Handycam and was shot in widescreen mode.
As this is not true widescreen it would make sense to assume it needs rendering once in the timeline.
We tried footage shot on our own XL2s and there's no problem.
Cheers all.
Dave

David Scattergood November 1st, 2006 02:17 PM

Actually, just realised that my footage was 4:3 (specifically had to record in this mode for this particular project - usually true 16:9) - as I recorded this in SD would FCP automatically set to 4:3 SD (it states DV Pal for video settings). This may explain my constand rendering battle also. I will adhere to easy setup from now though.

David Phillips November 1st, 2006 03:05 PM

David try this.
Click your timeline, go up to sequence, select settings and check the box anamorphic. This should solve the prob of capturing in w/screen. No rendering required.
Cheers, Dave

David Scattergood November 1st, 2006 03:49 PM

Cheers David - I can see that now. I've actually got mixed footage to play around with at the moment - SD 25p 16:0/SD 25p 4:3 and SD 50i (soon HDV 25p).
Not sure whether his would fall under DV PAL 48Khz or DV PAL 48Khz 24 @ 25 ??

David Phillips November 1st, 2006 04:37 PM

David, I'm using mixed footage also. Clicking the box doesn't seem to pose any problems. Give it a try.
Dave

David Scattergood November 8th, 2006 04:20 PM

Sorry to drag this back up, but I'm having a little headache over this...
I'm slowly getting to grips with FCP and currently attempting to capture 25p SD from my camera - both anamorpic and 4:3 (footage is mixed).
The only option I can see in easy set up is for DV PAL - would this be 25p (there another option - 24@25...not too sure what that is?).
I hit the easy set up option and created new project, but I'm still having to render, for example, imported audio files?
Any ideas folks?
Thanks.

Nate Schmidt November 8th, 2006 04:51 PM

The audio problem is most likely due to it not being a 48 kHz AIFF file. FCP does not play nice with mp3's especially, you can use iTunes or Quicktime to convert your audio into a more friendly format.

David Scattergood November 9th, 2006 03:29 AM

Thanks Nate - the audio is from iTunes as it happens but I'm guessing the format isn't 48khz. I'll set up a new folder purely for FCP audio imports, converting them beforehand if necessary.
The 48khz bit is interesting - I'll be recording music via Logic Pro and was thinking of sticking to 44khz for most projects, I guess I should therefore use 48khz sampling rate (if I'm on the right track here?).

Am I ok with the DV PAL easy set up for 25p (SD) footage?