DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   'lack of' device control in FCP with XL-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/7894-lack-device-control-fcp-xl-1-a.html)

Jeff Pelletier March 20th, 2003 08:38 PM

'lack of' device control in FCP with XL-1

Does anyone else have problems with their device control using an XL-1 in FCP? I'm running FCP 3 in OS 10.1.5, but had the same problems when I was using FCP 1 in OS9.x.

More specifically: The device control works, with a little help. As long as I manually cue it with a couple minutes of the destination - OR - as long as it doesn't go into high speed fast forward / rewing - it works fine. Otherwise, it will fast forward right or rewind right past the destination until I hit stop, and play again.

Basically it seems to have trouble stopping the VTR, but only when it's at high speed. Maybe it's a firewire driver problem or something - It's a problem that I've always had but have always just dealt with.. but I'd like to be able to leave batch capture unattended for once.

Jeff Pelletier

Jeff Donald March 21st, 2003 06:11 AM

Upgrade to the FireWire drivers were in 10.2.3. This solved many device control problems for users. The early OS X FireWire drivers were not very robust. I have used various Canon and Sony cameras with no problems under 10.2.3.

Jeff Pelletier March 21st, 2003 03:03 PM

firewire drivers

Thanks for the reply.

Would you happen to know if it's possible to upgrade the drivers without upgrading to 10.2.x? I don't wanna have to shell out any more $ if I can avoid it..

Jeff Pelletier

Jeff Donald March 21st, 2003 03:25 PM

It's not possible. The drivers are more integrated into the system in OS X. You would need to install 10.2 and then do the free, 10.2.4 combo upgrade. If your a student, teacher etc. there are educational discounts that apply. Check out the Educational discounts at the Apple Store online.

Wolf Dresp March 22nd, 2003 01:32 PM

I have the same problems with my XL-1 and versions FCP 2 xx and 3xx. It is as you described. Problem is the high speed rewind. You have to stop this manually and then press start again.
If you have time code breaks on your miniDV cassette you will have real problems capturing your material. Best is to have no time code break on the cassette, then you can make batch capturing without problems.
Best Regards
Wolf

Jeff Donald March 22nd, 2003 07:27 PM

Breaks in time code effect all NLE's not just FCP (even linear editors are effected by breaks in time code). OS 10.2.4 has the best FireWire drivers to date. If you're still experiencing capture difficulties , please post more details.

Jeff Pelletier March 22nd, 2003 08:26 PM

Thanks,

I think I may just suffer with it for now.. It's not a huge issue - just mean batch capture requires monitoring.

P.S. I generally dump all my footage to new dv tapes for capture/editing to avoid damaging the original material and avoid time code breaks.. so I doubt that's part of the issue.

Jeff Pelletier