How to convert a sequence from PAL to NTSC on FCP ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 7th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to convert a sequence from PAL to NTSC on FCP ?

Hi guys!

I've a project that was edited on FCP using Anamorphic PAL footage.
Is there any way to print that to a mini-dv tape in letterboxed NTSC?
I have an NTSC mini-dv camera that can be used as a VCR but the problem is that when i try to nest the PAL sequence on a new NTSC 4:3 sequence, FCP says that I "cannot nest sequences with different editing timebases".
Does anyone know any way to do it?
Thanks!
Pedro Paiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Major Player

If you have Compressor it can do format conversions (at least ver 2 anyways) but I've never used that so your mileage may vary, also take a look at Nattress Standards Converter http://www.nattress.com/ it does NTSC PAL and 24p conversions.
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Nate.
Are you saying to export to a MPEG-2 file using compressor? How do I record that file to tape after then?
Thanks.
Pedro Paiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #4
Wrangler

Like Nate said, you can convert your sequences with Compressor (read the manual) but I haven't tried it either. However people report that it's very slow. In addition to the Nattress Standards Conversion, there's also DVfilm Atlantis: http://www.dvfilm.com/atlantis/

How much footage do you need to convert? Be prepared to spend a long time for the conversion. I used Atlantis to convert a 45 sec PAL clip to NTSC a couple weeks ago. It took several hours on a dual 2.5ghz G5....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Unfoutunately I can't be any more help than that and just second what Boyd said about the manual as I've never tried it myself, sorry.
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #6
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Like Nate said, you can convert your sequences with Compressor (read the manual) but I haven't tried it either. However people report that it's very slow. In addition to the Nattress Standards Conversion, there's also DVfilm Atlantis: http://www.dvfilm.com/atlantis/

How much footage do you need to convert? Be prepared to spend a long time for the conversion. I used Atlantis to convert a 45 sec PAL clip to NTSC a couple weeks ago. It took several hours on a dual 2.5ghz G5....
Atlantis Mac can process 45 seconds of video in about 3 minutes. If you're running slower than that you need to update at dvfilm.com/update
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #7
Wrangler

Thanks Marcus, I'm sure you're right. I'm on version 2.01. I was quite surprised when it took so long to convert that clip, but I got home late at night and had to get it done before the next morning so I just let it run and didn't do any troubleshooting...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite