Various questions FCP3 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 24th, 2003, 10:41 PM   #136
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Huh. That's nasty. I've upgraded QT at least twice while using FCP3 and never encountered that bug (although I always expected it...coming from a PC world, also).

Thanks for following-up here, Dave. It may well be a blessing to someone else who hits this bugaboo.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #137
New Boot

fcp3 and fonts

Hi,
New to macs so maybe this is an easy one, but i can't find it anywhere. I recently installed a new true type font, ttf into my library on my hard drive. It's recognized by all my other programs except fcp3. Any ideas why/how to solve?
thanks
Old June 27th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #138
New Boot

split screen fcp3

I am trying to get a split screen effect on fcp3, but when I resize both clips and render, my mac slows down to nothing. Memory problem or? Running a dual 867 w/133MHz system bus 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM - 1 DIMM ATI Radeon 9000 Pro dual-display w/64MB DDR

thoughts?
Old June 27th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #139
New Boot

can retract

Sorry,
I got it to work. Seems it was just a matter of shutting down and restarting as i've done it twice now with the desired results.
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #140
Warden

I don't beleive FCP3 supports True Type Fonts. It may in FCP4, I haven't had a chance to install FCP4 yet.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 05:23 AM   #141
Regular Crew

XL1 to Final CP 3 settings?

Hi
I am using a PAL xl1 in SE Asia where i bought my 800hz IMac and I have just started using FCP3 in OSX but have run into problems from the start. So far I am unable to get the footage into the computer as I keep getting the "dropped frame warning" so many people seem to have problems with. I believe I have the correct settings and have been searching web sites for relevant info in vain. Does anyone have any experience of this or recomend any particular group of settings. I have everything set to PAL, the device control set to firewire basic as per the apple site but still no luck.
Also pls note I am trying to capture to a separate HD with over 110 gb available, and have tried all the ways to capture, batch etc without any luck.
many thanks
'bloody frustrated' of Phnom Penh
Allan Michaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #142
Warden

Just turn off the warning, It's in FCP preferences and says something like warn and abort capture on dropped frames. Uncheck that box and try capturing again. What type of drive is your second drive? Is it an external FireWire drive? USB drives aren't fast enough. iMacs can only have one internal drive.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #143
Regular Crew

many thanks
I think maybe the external HD maybe the problem, it is firewire, but i have tried using the internal HD as the scratch disc and it seems ok, so I am going to take the HD back to the shop to get it looked at. I also tried importing in imovie to the ext HD and had a similar problem, the quality was awful and it seemed to be droping frames.
From what I have read turning off the warnings will mean I will have problems with future editing, is that the case or should I not be concerned.
cheers
Allan
Allan Michaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #144
Regular Crew

dropped frames problem

if the dropped frames are infrequent and there aren't too many of them it probably wont' be an issue if you're not too picky and the footage isn't critical. if you have a lot of them then of course things could get jerky and nasty. One missing frame from a movie would normally not be noticed but of course the real issue is why the dropped frames. It can be the fw cable (surprise) or the drive or the drive being too fragmented. I have one drive that cannot even be on the fw chain if I want to capture. I have to dismount it entirely. If the drive is too slow or badly fragmented that can be a problem so you might want to defrag before trying other things.
Old July 15th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #145
Regular Crew

Can I-Movie's Sound FX be imported to FCP 3?

Just wondering how I could go about using I-Movie Sound FX in FCP 3 if it is at all possible.
Thanks.
Erik Selakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 07:37 PM   #146

It's been a looooooooong time since I attempted to mess with iMovie, but I *believe* that there is a folder somewhere (checking.... iMovie>iMovie>Resources>Sound Effects... at least in OS 9 anyway) with the sounds you want in them. Simply import that folder into FCP3 and you'll be able to use them to your heart's content. If you are using OS X then go to the Finder, press Apple-F to open the search menu and search for "Sound Effects" and you'll find it.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 02:15 AM   #147
Regular Crew

Thank you so much!!!
Erik Selakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:33 PM   #148
Major Player

If there are sounds you cannot find you can always drop the audio into a blank iMovie and then export as an AIFF or something and get it that way...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #149
Major Player

32k/ 48k audio, Final Cut 3

I'm a new owner of the DVX100...it's probably the most fun camera I've owned since the XL-1, 6 years ago. Picture wise it's on par with my DV500 and the 24p option makes it extraordinary. I recently shot an event and have found that I had the audio set at 32k. I edit in FCP at 48k to mix in SFX and music. Is there a way to convert the 32 k to 48k during the log and loading process so as not to have to render up all the audio while I work in the time line? Thanks, Craig Hollenback
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #150
RED Code Chef

I'm not a mac user, but do you need the 32 khz 4 channel mode?
Otherwise you can just switch the camera into 2 channel audio
mode and get 48 khz. I would have thought FCP3 had a 32khz
project template as well....

What you might be able to do is change the project to 32khz
and then render out to 48 khz if that is what you need!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite