DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 8th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #151
New Boot

Sound Capture on FCP3

I am having trouble capturing sound onto my iBook from my XL-1S. The picture is fine and I heat the sound on the camera through the phones/out line but there is no sound coming out of my computer and it is not capturing the clips with sound.
Does anyone have an idea what is going on here? I have played with all of the usual settings.
Help!
Charlie Spickler
Charlie Spickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #152
Regular Crew

32k-48k

AFAIK there is no way to upsample audio during the capture process in FCP 1, 2 or 3... Can't tell you about 4. Maybe a post in the Apple FCP forum would get you the answer.
Denis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #153
RED Code Chef

What audio settings are you using on the XL1S?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #154
New Boot

I have a better question, what setting should the XL-1s be set to? I just got it and am not quite sure.
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:04 AM   #155
New Boot

Does anyone know what audio settings the XL-1S should be set at for clip capturing on Final Cut Pro 3? I am not having any problems with the image, just the audio?
Help Help Help!!!
Thank You
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:11 PM   #156
Regular Crew

FCP3 and 24P?

I have a G4 Dual 450/1.3GIG RAM, GigEthernet, 20GIG system drive 1-45GIG and 1-160GIG firewire external drive setup and was wondering if I could edit 24P in FCP3/4 or if Premiere 6.5 would be a better option. I'm totally new to the 24P concept and was wondering what my capabilites would be with my exsisting setup. Forgive my ignorance, but any input would be great.
Thanks
Ryan
Ryan Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:24 PM   #157
Warden

FCP 4 would be the preferred software on a Mac. FCP 3 would need Cinema Tools to edit 24p (additional $1,000 program). The necessary essentials of cinema Tools are included in FCP 4, thus saving you $1,000. Adobe has discontinued further development of Premiere on Macs. Acquiring Premiere of Mac would be counter productive at this point, as your efforts would be best utilized by learning FCP.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #158
Regular Crew

So, do you think FCP4 would run at an acceptable speed on my setup? I've checked the system requirements and mine just meets the baseline, so I would want to be sure before I make a 750-999 dollar investment. Powerlogix and Sonnett both have dual 1gigahertz upgrades for my machine, but there again would it be required? I do basic cross fades, color correction, filters and so on, what do you think? Or, is it better to use AE 4.1 to do anything beyond straight cuts and so on with 24P? Just looking to the future and thanks again.
Ryan
Ryan Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 01:42 PM   #159
Regular Crew

It really depends on what you want to do. FCP3 can indeed edit 24p. It cannot remove or insert pulldown, however. If you shoot with the DVX100, you could shoot in the 24p normal mode (not ADVANCED) and you could edit that in any non-linear editor at 29.97 fps. But if you are exporting to DVD, then 24p might be good for you. To do that, the pulldown would need to be removed. This happens automatically in FCP4 when capturing (if you shoot in ADVANCED pulldown mode).

I would just stick with the normal pulldown in FCP3 if I were you, unless you really need a 24p file to export to DVD for some reason.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #160
Warden

FCP 4 will run fine on a dual 450 system. You will not have many tracks of RT video, but will work fine in the capacity you have described.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:44 AM   #161
New Boot

Will FCP 3 work with Panther?

I'm still running 0S 9 and would like to get into OSX.
Have heard a couple of reports that Panther has run FCP 3, but haven't heard much more than that.

Has any one ventured to use FCP 3 w/OS X.3 and really given it a good workout?
Ted Moores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #162
RED Problem Solver

It's working ok so far!

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #163
Wrangler

I recently moved my FCP3 from MacOS 9.2 to MacOS X 10.2.8. You will obviously need to reinstall from the CD's. Then go to Apple's website and download the latest OSX version of FCP3, it was 3.0.4 I believe when I did it. You will also need to purchase the pro version of Quicktime 6 (or does Panther include QuickTime Pro?).

Everything seems to work fine under OSX with FCP3 for me. I just got the Panther upgrade but haven't installed it yet. Glad to hear from others that it seems to work however!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #164
Warden

Panther does not include QT Pro, but FCP 4 does.

Old November 12th, 2003, 10:48 PM   #165
New Boot

sony dcr trv 19 lacie audio loss fcp3

Here's an interesting problem
I've got a g4 dual 857 with 512 mb and I use a lacie 160 gb external. I was having problems using a canon zr40 to capture/output b/c of canon's firewire problem.

I borrowed a friends sony dcr trv 19 and it worked flawlessly, I used it probably 20 times to output footage, etc off the FCP3 timeline. No problems what so ever.

So I bought a Sony dcr trv 19, counting on the same performance. It works fine for filming and capturing, but if I output anything over 30 minutes, there's always one small audio drop. That is, it will just cut the audio for a split second and continue. It only will do this once, so you can imagine how frustrating that is. It seems like the hardrive stops just quickly enough to drop the sound. I've checked my system preferences and all sleep modes are off on the drive.

I dont think it's the tape b/c I've tried different ones and always get the same problem.

I'm thinking of buying a new ieee cable but wanted to put this out and see if anyone else has seen it. I've searched here on this topic, but have yet to run into this.

any and all posts are greatly appreciated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite