Various questions FCP3 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #181
Major Player

What do you mean by typewriter text? Text>Typewriter or a specific font style? You can outline fonts in Title 3D. When Title 3D opens you will notice the "T" tabs in the lower left corner and here you will find the outline settings.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 01:30 AM   #182
Regular Crew

yes, I meant the video generators -> type -> typewriter effect, where the letters of the text appear on screen as if typed one by one.
thx
Michiel
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 02:18 AM   #183
Regular Crew

Dual CRT Display w/ FCP3

I am running FCP 3 on a mac g4 twin 867 processor. If I purchase another card to allow me to hook up a second crt monitor, can I configure fcp to split the display between the two monitors? (example: browser/viewer on one and canvas/timeline on the other)

thanks
---adam
Adam Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 06:24 AM   #184
Warden

You may not need to buy another card. Do you know what card is on your dual 876 MHz computer. Most have a dual monitor card built in. You can move the windows in FCP around anyway you like and save it as a default. Many of us here edit on dual monitors. It is quicker and the timeline etc. can be made larger for easier viewing.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #185
Wrangler

As Jeff said, your card may already support two monitors, but you may also need an adaptor cable to hook up the second one. Otherwise you should be able to add a PCI card. The last time I checked the only one of these for the Mac was the Radeon 7000 Mac Edition. I got one a couple years ago and it works fine in my old G4/733 under MacOS 9.2. I'm not sure, but I think there used to be some OSX issues with it however. Perhaps these were resolved, or maybe there's a newer card.

If neither of these options work then you might be able to replace the original AGP graphics card in your Mac, but be careful to research this because I think there are some major compatability issues there. Don't just assume that any AGP graphics card will work.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #186
Warden

Quote:
Perhaps these were resolved, or maybe there's a newer card.
Those issues where resolved when ATI finally (took a year maybe) released OS X drivers. No problems with PCI video cards and OS X today.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 30th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #187
Regular Crew

Thank you both for your detailed help.

---adam
Adam Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:31 AM   #188
Regular Crew

FCP3 Capture difficulties

I hope someone can help.

This evening I was experimenting with de-interlace filters and shot a little sequence on a chessboard for source footage. I went to capture the video in FCP3 and I get the error message "ERROR: Final Cut Pro was unable to read the media file just captured"

I tried again-- same error message. I restarted FCP and got the same. Restarted the machine. Same. I did a Google search and only found a website stating that Canopus Firewire PCI cards cause this. I removed my OrangeLink USB2.0/Firewire card and disconnected the Koutech USB/FW hub conneccted to it and rebooted. Same error message again. After reassembly, I did a clean partition of my scratch disk and tried to capture yet again. Same error message. I even reinstalled FCP3 and tried again. (Note: I did try all my firewire ports on the logic board and on the firewire cards themselves-- no difference)

I am at my wits' end. I've had my machine in its current configuration for months and every component has run smoothly and without conflict.

Oddly enough, FCP recognizes that my camcorder is active ("VTR OK" shows up and I can use DV control). I also managed to print video to the camera without a hitch.

Please, if anyone can help with advice I would be very grateful.

-Craig

My system config.
---------------------
Power Mac G4/450 Sawtooth model
2GB ram
OS X 10.3.2
Final Cut Pro 3
Sonnet 1.4 CPU
ATI Radeon 9000 video
Sonnet FW800 PCI
Orange Micro "OrangeLink+" USB/FW PCI
Koutech FW/USB2.0 3.5" hub (external type connectors connected to Orange Micro card)
ACARD 6880M ATA-133 RAID PCI (2ch)
Striped RAID 0 scratch disk: 2x IBM 180GXP 180GB drives
Craig Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #189
Warden

Have you added any hardware or software lately? If so remove any new software, hardware and try to capture to an internal drive. Until you start to isolate the problem, you could have many causes, including your RAID, ram, OS etc.

Old January 30th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #190
Regular Crew

Jeff,

No recent hardware additions. I did, however, install a DVD player application, "MPlayer" and just before trying to capture, I installed a demo version of Joe's Filters to try out de-interlacing. Other than those, I installed a couple of Nintendo game emulators a couple of weeks prior.

I'm backing up my system to do a clean reinstall of the system drive. Hopefully some anomaly will present itself in step-by-step reinstallation.

Thanks!

-Craig
Old January 30th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #191
Warden

If that doesn't do it, then you may have to resort to a more drastic approach. I generally recommend taking the computer back to it's original state. Remove all extras, ram, mouse, keyboard, etc. and wipe the drive clean. Install the OS and FCP only (default location for FCP) and start adding none OEM add-ons one by until you get the problem.

After you installed the Nintendo emulators did FCP work OK? They might have overwritten some key video components that FCP needs. If you knew what they installed you could check for certain files, but it's probably a shot in the dark.

Old January 30th, 2004, 07:58 PM   #192
Regular Crew

Jeff,

I have no idea what the Nintendo emulators might have done but they're self-contained programs without extraneous program files.

I'm just about ready to reinstall FCP now. If I still get capture issues I may just switch to my powerbook 1ghz semi-permanently. I have to have a machine to edit on.
Old January 30th, 2004, 10:56 PM   #193
Regular Crew

I found the problem: a corrupt FCP user preferences file. That's all it was.

I found a website that suggested trashing the file as a first resort when such problems occur. I did, and now FCP captures normally. I've got an alias on my desktop to that file now.

Jeff, thanks for all your help!

-Craig
Old January 31st, 2004, 12:36 AM   #194
Warden

That's odd, because reinstalling FCP should have created new preferences. You'll find the directions for deleting the FCP preferences here.

Old January 31st, 2004, 11:14 AM   #195
Regular Crew

My guess is that an updated driver or piece of software (Shockwave? Quicktime 6.5?) created a conflict with FCP. This would explain the recurrance after a complete system reinstallation.

One thing did change, however. After reinstallation, the error message changed from "unable to read media file just captured" to "general error"

-Craig
Craig Weinstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite