DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 8th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #196
New Boot

Using the Sony DSR-20 with FCP3

Has anyone had problems capturing from a Sony DSR-20 into a FCP 3 system? I have some DVCam footage I need to import, and a loaned DSR-20. I hooked them up but FCP doesn't see the deck. It will see my Sony GV-D900, and a couple of different Canon concumer camcorders.

I tried to set it to 'Non-controllable Device', which works fine with my Canopus ADVC-100 digitizer box, but not with the Sony.

Do I need an RS-422 controller of some kind? Or maybe a LANC to USB controller?

Any thoughts?

Thanx in advance!
Kevin Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #197
Warden

It would work through RS-422, but you would need to purchase a serial controller for your Mac. It should work with OS X or OS 9 with FireWire control too. It is only accurate to +/- 2 frames with FireWire control if your trying to edit with the DSR 20. Try booting the computer with the VTR both on and off, that seems to usually do the trick.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #198
New Boot

No joy. It doesn't see the deck at all. I tried iMovie as well and the same thing. I don't have a 4-pin to 4-pin cable to test if the port on the dsr-20 is bad.

Thanx anyway!
Kevin Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:46 PM   #199
Major Player

Slow and Fast

Hey Guys!

I have a quick question that might have a quick answer (I hope!). Does anyone know (or have I just missed it) of a filter or transition in FCP that will continuously slow a clip down or speed it up. I have been messing with Variable speed but can't get it to just slow a clip down. I tried adusting the % on each frame, but it won't let me do that. I just want to have a clip going and at one point it just starts slowing down to a still. Any ideas or am I just out of luck?

Thanks in advance!
Clay
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:29 PM   #200
Inner Circle

FCP3 and before: go fill out the survey on Apple's site to get Joe's Time Bender for free.
http://www.digitalzoo.com.au/lunchti...free.htm#apple
DOH!!! Correction: Apple WAS giving it away. It's not there anymore.

FCP4: use the velocity envelope thing.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:07 PM   #201
Major Player

Glenn,

Are you talking about the velocity in the Time Remap? I have tried that, but it won't let me change the velocity % for some reason. If that's not what you are talking about, what is the velocity envelope thingie?

Clay
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:52 PM   #202
Major Player

General Error FCP3 help!

I get a general error now when I try to capture now. I have always used the capture now feature with this same setup with no problems. All of a sudden I get a general error as soon as i hit the "now" button. I had just captured footage a few days ago with no problems.Havent installed any new software etc. My system had been soild until now. Any suggestions? FCP3 - 10.2.8 - I tried restarting etc. also.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:58 PM   #203
Warden

Matt, this thread should help. If not, post back.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:18 PM   #204
Major Player

Jeff BIG thanks for the link! I trashed the prefs and repaired permissions and now back to normal!

matt
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:24 PM   #205
Warden

Another satisfied customer. I'm glad it helped and thanks for posting back Matt.

Old May 31st, 2004, 04:44 PM   #206
Major Player

Is FCP upgrade still full version?

Is my FCP3 serial # the only thing needed to install upgrade versions of FCP? My G4 is a dual boot and I had FCP2 running in OS9 then got the 3 upgrade and ran in OSX. Now I would like to start out with a fresh install with no more OS9 on the mac at all. My main concern is that I would need the following versions installed on the computer is this true or is the FCPhd upgrade a full version as well?

Thanks
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:28 PM   #207
Warden

You'll need to purchase the upgrade to FCP 4, then download the free upgrade to FCP HD (4.5). To the best of my recollection, FCP 3 install was a problem for some people without OS 9.x.x on the drive. I would install 9 then FCP, then delete 9 when all the install are done and you're cleaning up your drives.

Old May 31st, 2004, 07:00 PM   #208
Inner Circle

I upgraded from v1.2 to HD (4.5).

It's a full install but will ask you for your old serial number. You can probably use any of the old serial numbers from your previous versions.

If you get the full shipped version it comes with a DVD full of HD sample footage as well as a quarter-ton of documentation.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 02:50 AM   #209
Major Player

Media Manager acting strange

Hi there,

I like to back-up my projects using Media Manager.

Using FCP3, this worked perfectly : images/shots/audio you did not used for your final edit were deleted, so saving a project 'doing a media manager' saves me some gigabytes.

Since I'm using FCP4, this media manager-option doesn't work properly. Wrong audio-tracks are put under images I did not use in my project.
Everytime I end up with a totally new project that is completly useless.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

Eugène.
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:00 AM   #210
Warden

I'm not sure it works for this, but have you tried trashing the preferences? There is a notice at the top that explains the procedure.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite