Various questions FCP3 - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:55 AM   #211
Major Player

I found a old unregistered copy of 2.0 for a client of mine and then bought the 4.0 upgrade for them all for a whopping 500 bucks.

Being able to upgrade from ANY previous, registerable, version is fantastic.

The word is getting around about the HD capabilities of 4.5. A LOT of buzz is being generated among people who used to dismiss FCP.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:41 PM   #212
Regular Crew

Movie edited on FCP 3 can it be opened in FCP Hd

I finished editing my movie on FCP3, now I need to do some adjustments and I have upgraded my system to FCPHD. Will I have any problems opening the movie in it? I don't wanna mess up any sequences or have some bugs that might affect it. Am I being paranoid? Any input on this is appreciated. Thanks.
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:54 PM   #213
Warden

Your project will be converted to be compatible with the current version of FCP. After conversion it may not be compatible with prior versions of FCP.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #214
Major Player

agreed so if you have any chance of needing to drop this back into FCP3 make sure you back up your project files where they won't get updated.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 05:11 AM   #215
Regular Crew

Still Image Problem

Hi.
FCP3 Mac G4
I have still images saved as JPGs which wont render in the timeline. A message pops up saying, 'Codec not found'.
I've never had this problem before. Do the images need saving as something else? If so, any idea's?
Regards
Old June 19th, 2004, 05:29 AM   #216
Warden

What is the source of the jpeg's and in what program were they edited and saved?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 19th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #217
Regular Crew

Hi
They were scanned into PSP7 and saved as JPgs which is the same as I've always done it with no problems before.
Old June 19th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #218
Warden

Follow the instructions at the top of the forum for trashing preferences. Make sure you get all three files and repair permissions afterwards.

Old June 20th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #219
Regular Crew

??
Old June 20th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #220
Warden

It's the first post at the top of this forum.

Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:08 AM   #221
Regular Crew

backing up project

Working with FCP 3 on a G4 running OSX, I should be backing up my project. How does one do this? (I also have a second hard drive. ) And I was also told that it may be wise to back it up to an external hard drive, which I am looking into as they are rather affordable at a nearby Mac dealer. Now if I get the external drive, will the whole project, with all it's files, easily drag into that drive, or is there more to it?
Tim Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:38 AM   #222
Wrangler

Sure, you shouldn't have any problem backing up to an external drive. Just make sure you've located the folder hierarchy where all the capture and render files are stored, then drag to the external drive. Unless you have changed the scratch disk in your preferences these can be found at:

[your boot drive]/Documents/Final Cut Pro Documents/

Also a note if you're using multiple removable drives and want to be able to transport them between computers (or work on a project that you stored to an external drive). You will need to specifically set the preference to your firewire drive or FCP will put your capture and render files on the boot drive of whatever machine you're using. This has burned me in the past with FCP3. When you plug in the external drive go to the preferences in FCP and select it as your scratch disk.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #223
Regular Crew

There is kind of a fast and easy way to backup. I learned this trick from Ken Stone and it saved me on a project someone wanted re edited. What you do is save your final cut file and not the actual video clips. If you need to pull the project in again you just pull the project off of what ever u back up to and open the file in FCP. It will ask you for the media and you will be able to recapture the clips from the tapes you used. It requires that you log your tapes so at least you know what is what but it works great.

I also kind of recall something about saving the EDL but I think thats only if u plan on going to something other than a FCP editing system.

Check Kens site to read the full directions.

www.kenstone.net
Paul Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #224
Wrangler

Sure, that should work fine too, but if you're in the middle of a big project it's nice to have the security of a "clone" that includes everything needed on an external drive. And large firewire drives are reasonably priced now. It sure saved me from a nightmare last fall....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #225
Tourist

GL2 editing with FCP3

The Canon website says that the GL2 is only compatible with FCP4... has anyone tried using it with FCP3? Are there any problems? What about with iMovie? Any help? Thanks.
Sarah Horrocks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite