Various questions FCP3 - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 15th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #226
Warden

The GL2 is compatible with iMovie, and previous versions of FCP.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:20 PM   #227
Tourist

Thanks for your help.
Sarah Horrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #228
Warden

Your welcome and thanks for becoming a member.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 24th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #229
Regular Crew

mixing audio in FCP 3

Greetings---
I have five to six audio tracks (vos, nat sound, music, etc) in my FCP 3 project...
I have added filters (compression. etc.) to the voiceover audio tracks and now wish to ramp down/up music levels accordingly.
However, ANY adjustment to music levels results in always re-rendering voiceovers, because they have effects added, in order to hear the mix. Is there some way to get around this? I hate to constantly be re-rendering every time I make a change in my music tracks.
Tim Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #230
Regular Crew

This might work.

Mute the tracks you want to adjust the levels of (and any other tracks you need to make changes to), leave the VO and all the other tracks unmuted.

Export the audio as an AIFF.

Import the resulting AIFF. Now you have a fully rendered stereo audio pair with the VO (and anything else you exported).

Reverse the mute settings on all the tracks so now the tracks that were exported/unmuted are now those muted.

Place the imported AIFF in the timeline.

Make your adjustments on the music tracks to get the levels you want.

The AIFF file you have in the timeline can be used in the final edit or you can delete it from the timeline and unmute everything. Of course doing the latter will require a full audio rerender.
Mike Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #231
Inner Circle

Other solutions I see:
1- upgrade to FCP4. *You are asking for problems if you wish to go from FCP3 to FCP4. It works for some folks and doesn't for others. There are known issues.

2- Export an OMF to an audio application. If you own virtually any audio software, you can upgrade to Digital Performer cheaply (through the website). There are other audio editing apps out there too.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #232
Regular Crew

creating a master

Greetings---

I need to create a master of my project (created in FCP3, G4-OSX) to hand off to my duplicator. In the past, I have simply made a copy to to miniDV, and they created the DVD Master for duplication from it. I do not have iDVD or any DVD creation software (I hope to at some point). In any case, a recent DVD-R check dub was created from my most recent miniDV master and upon viewing it, I noticed a few hits and a few audio dropouts. I plan to address this with the duplicator this week to see what might have happened, to compare my master against the check dub. My question is, is it possible to somehow save my project, as some sort of file, with all it's media, to my 160 gig external hard drive, take it to whoever creates the DVD Master, and then export it from the external drive toward authoring a DVD master? And will they need to be working in FCP?

Thanks,
Tim
Old November 28th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #233
Warden

No, you could make a QuickTime copy on your HD and then they would not need FCP.

Old November 28th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #234
Regular Crew

creating master

Good idea...and would the QuickTime copy be at the level of quality of the project when I hand it off to?
Old November 28th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #235
Warden

There are various options for choices of codecs to use. DV or DVCPRO is certainly an option, as are several uncompressed formats. You replication company will need a way to handle an uncompressed file however. Standard DV will be your best choice for maximum compatibility and good quality.

Old November 28th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #236
Major Player

I generally make my masters using a FCP(QT) file. If that is, however, the best option qualitywise I don't know. I know that they don't need FCP to make a DVD with iDVD, Toast or DVDSP.

It would be great to know what format you pros export to..
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #237
Regular Crew

FCP and Quicktime

I've got FCP 3 and everytime I try to save project as a Quicktime file the result is a white screen with audio only. Basically there's no picture, but audio. I've tried to save a single clip and that works ok, so do a couple of clips budged together, but a full edit, no way. Anyone here with greater experience of FCP than I know what's going on here?

Kind regards
John Poore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #238
Wrangler

Are you using Mac OS 9 or OSX? I had a similar problem myself a couple years ago, although I think it had to do with exporting stills via quicktime - I got blank white images.

I can't remember if I ever solved this or not, but at the time I was running FCP 3 under OS 9 on a Titanium PowerBook G4/667. I suggest trying the following:

1. Make sure you have downloaded the final version of the FCP 3 update from Apple's website.

2. FCP 3 has some issues with newer versions of QT Pro. If you have installed any updates (which might have happened inadventently via the software update or installation of a new version of OSX) then you should downgrade to the original version which came with your FCP install disks. This is tricky and involves messing around a bit as I recall.

3. I have purposely kept my FCP 3 system at OS X 10.2.8 with its original version of QT pro. It works fine, so I don't plan to upgrade anything until I'm also ready to go to the latest version of FCP - which will probably be when I upgrade my hardware to a G5 :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #239
Regular Crew

audio distortion and FCP

I am capturing material from a DVX100ae (PAL). I noticed that my audio is distorted when I capture it in FCP3. My levels do get pretty hot, though I had the limiter on, but when I listen to the audio through the camera itself I don't hear any distortion. I assume this has something to do with FCP and possibly PAL settings.

Just for the record, the audio was recorded at 48khz and this is also selected in the capture presets.

Any ideas?
Zareh Tjeknavorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #240
Regular Crew

Thanks for this Boyd. I thought it might be system issues, and oddly enough I am running FCP3 from G4 867 laptop.
John Poore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite