DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 10th, 2002, 07:08 PM   #31
New Boot

FCP- Annoying audio Beeps!

Okay- I'm ready with The Homer Simpson "DOH!".....

I'm doing some editing with vers. 3.0 of Final cuts, but whenever I drag any audio or video onto the timeline and check playback, I have a reacurring "beep". I've been looking for misplaced settings, etc.

I have the firewire device turned off (Canopus ADC100), and am playing back on the desktop.

This seems it should require a REALLY a simple solution. Anyone?

Jeff Patnaude :>/
Mac Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 08:40 PM   #32
Major Player

Change your audio resolution to medium or low. That'll do it. It's a common problem.
Old September 11th, 2002, 08:19 AM   #33
New Boot

OKay,
so I checked the resolution setting-- no effect. I figured the dual 1 gig should be able to handle that. Another guy told me that it is just saying that you have to render the piece. Its beeping because it needs to be rendered. That figures. I dig'd in a short clip and it played fine.

Oh yeah....... DOH!

Jeff Patnaude :>)
Mac Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2002, 08:27 AM   #34
New Boot

The fact that your audio had to be rendered indicates it was captured at a setting that is different from the settings used in your project or sequence. This screws everyone up and the prefs can sometimes get set to other values all by themselves.

david
a Cannondale.
David Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2002, 11:49 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I agree with Bogiesan. Check ur audio rates in the browser. I bet the footage got transferred at 48.1 KHZ or 47.9 or some odd number instead of the usual 48.0 khz. If u check the old postings on here u will notice that I had the same problem. I checked with audio professionals that work on Hollywood features amd most of them assured me that it will not affect the audio quality when it comes down to final mix or any broadcast quality outlet (the only annoying thing is the beeping sound when it is played and u can take care of that by changing your settings on FCP to medium)
I personally didn't want to take a chance so I decided to I REcapture my footage and chanced it over and over again until I got the 48.0 khz but even to this day, no one was able to figure out the discrepency in the audio rate and why it happens in the first place! Maybe it's a flaw with FCP3! Although I tried recapturing using FCP2 and it worked fine upun till the last reel and then I had the same problem again (it got captured at 47.9 khz) so.....as a recap, basically it is up to u, either recapture ur footage in 20 min. incruments and check the browser audio rate at the end of each capture to make sure u get the desired 48.o khz industry standard OR adjust ur settings to medium and u won't hear that annoying beep again! good luck :)
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 12:56 PM   #36
doctorxex

FCP Problems

I am having some fairly (ohkay, extremely) annoying problems w/ Final Cut 3.0 for OS X.

Problem 1: FCP crashes randomly when i try to render. Not all the time, but occasionally enough to be very cumbersome. Apple talk is off. No other apps are ever running, except, occasionally, Photoshop. Powerbook G4, OS X Jaguar (is this the problem?), 667 mhz, gig of RAM.

Problem 2: I am trying to import some .psd images from Photoshop. It has worked quite well. But with some files, i get an error message that says "Error: Out of Memory"... it's just a small photoshop image. I'm confused. I literally *cannot* import certain files that i need.

?? Help me.
Old October 2nd, 2002, 01:44 PM   #37
Major Player

Can you clearify this "other apps" thing? Jaguar? You know that Jaguar is the system, right? It's not an app.

My suggestion would be to uninstall and reinstall FCP3 on OSX.2 (Jaguar).
Old October 2nd, 2002, 02:56 PM   #38
doctorxex

There's nothing to specify, as there are no other apps running!
Yes, i know Jaguar is an operating system...
Old October 2nd, 2002, 04:11 PM   #39
Warden

Before reinstalling FCP, trash FCP's preference file. Then restart and and it may be all better.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 04:42 PM   #40
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

What jumped out at me was that you're running FCP on a Powerbook G4-667. The machine is very capable of handling the job but, like all Powerbooks, the hard drives are small by video standards. The fact that you are getting nastygrams while rendering suggests (to me) that you may be overrunning the PB's hard drive. If the drive is set as the cache location and location for render files this would explain the trouble.

When using a PB for editing it's best to use a fast (5400-7200 rpm) external (Firewire) drive for everything (i.e. capture, caching, rendering, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 05:34 PM   #41
doctorxex

it's a 30 gig drive, and i have around 10 gigs of space left.
i will try the pref+restart thing.
Old October 2nd, 2002, 07:34 PM   #42
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Now I'm certain. "10 gig left" is not good, particularly when it's on a (very) slow Powerbook internal system drive that's probably fragmented worse than a hockey player's teeth. Get a good external FW hard drive, set your prefs to use it and your problems will, in all probability, disappear. You can reinstall untill your fingers bleed and you'll wind up back in the crapper before long. Trust me.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 08:13 PM   #43
Warden

Ken's correct. I missed the PowerBook and saw G4. It is a problem on a slow drive (5400 RPM) that every thing is on one partition. This will even bog down a Power Mac G4 with 7200 RPM drives. Having the OS, application, media (clips and renders) all on the same partition of 1 drive will really slow things down or even freeze it. external FireWire drive will be most reliable in the long run. Once your current project is done, delete all the media files and defrag your drive. that will help some. But I discourage people from defragging in the middle of a project. Sometimes media dissapears etc. The preferences fix is cheap if it works. But in the long run you'll need the external drive.

jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 08:20 PM   #44
ChorizoSmells

I think only the new G4 powerbooks with a 60 gig hard drive are 5400rpm, the other size drives are running at 4200ripm.

Does that 1200rpm make a big difference? I thought a 5400rpm drive was the minimum when doing video,
Old October 2nd, 2002, 08:35 PM   #45
Warden

Your right. I think it's a special order BTO from the Apple Store. The extra 1200 RPM does make a difference. Editing and capturing on a PowerBook is really pushing the envelope. Most users don't know to partition the drive, which helps a little, too. But External is really the way to go.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite