Various questions FCP3 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 2nd, 2002, 09:48 PM   #46
ChorizoSmells

What if you did all your editing on a laptop using the RT offline mode. With the smaller files sizes, would freezes, crashes, drop frames go away?
Old October 2nd, 2002, 10:23 PM   #47
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Using RT Offline format media for editing would certainly help alleviate problems by reducing media file sizes and drive/memory bandwidth taxation. In fact, laptop editing is largely what RT Offline format was developed to enable. Partitioning a main drive can also provide temporary relief, although it does not remedy the fundamental problem. You're still trying to push the same number of platters and heads to do the same work; you've just limited the amount of chasing around they'll need to do by giving them a fenced-off media playpen.

With really good medium-capacity (20-40Gb) bus-powered Firewire drives readily available for less than the price of a good dinner for two there's really little reason for anyone to dink around trying to cram an edit on a system drive, certainly not on a Mac!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 10:25 PM   #48
Warden

I must be a cheap date or quarter pounders went way up.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 10:31 PM   #49
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hey, whaddya doin' Friday night?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 02:49 PM   #50
doctorxex

ohkay, i shall switch over to using my external 120 gig FW drive for all DV after i finish the latest project. thanks all for the advice!
i've actually been meaning to do this, i even partitioned 80 gigs off of it dedicated to DV.

thanks again!
Old October 21st, 2002, 10:47 PM   #51
Regular Crew

educational FCP3 edition

I am a college student and because of this I can get a college student discount on the FCP3 software. It is however listed as an educational edition. I was told by a roommate of mine that his educational software(which isn't film related) has a little statement that prints out with his stuff saying that it is for educational use only. While I do not plan to break the deal (that I cannot use it to make money) I do want to know if my projects will be litered with something similar. Does anyone have an educational edition that can answer this question for me?
thank you
Ryan
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 05:02 AM   #52
Warden

It is the exact same software, but it has a different EULA (End User License Agreement). Nothing is done to degrade the image quality in any way.

Jeff
Old October 22nd, 2002, 09:14 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Glad to hear it, thank you.
Just out of curiousity what exactly does the user agreement ask of me since it is educational software?
Old October 22nd, 2002, 09:34 AM   #54
Warden

Basically that you are in an educational setting and will not use it in a professional setting where you get paid. If you use it in a paid setting or work for hire arrangement your asked to purchase another license.

Jeff
Old October 22nd, 2002, 12:23 PM   #55
Regular Crew

How does one purchase another license without having to buy a whole new boxed set. Could they just pay the extra $700? Because college students may graduate and decide to do that work professionally.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 01:07 PM   #56
Regular Crew

I see, well that seems like a great deal.
THanks for all your help.
I plan to pick up my power g4 twin 19inch monitors and FCP3 in Nov. Can't wait!
Old October 22nd, 2002, 01:51 PM   #57
Warden

The license can be upgraded for the difference ($700) by contacting Apple Customer Care. They do not need to purchase another copy.

Jeff
Old October 25th, 2002, 01:35 PM   #58
eliquidmedia

VTR - FCP 3 XL1S compatible

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on purchasing a VTR (mini DV/SVHS/VHS in one deck) that is compatible with both Final Cut Pro 3 and the XL1S. I was just about to purchase the JVC SVS30 when the tech support person at JVC told me that it is not possible to batch capture with this hardware and it may drop frames if you are using the XL1 to shoot on. Cannon was of no help either - they recommend purchasing a second camera to use as a VTR. I have also consulted the apple device list but there isn't to many VTR's on the page. I don't want to spent more than 1500 USD... slightly less preferably. Currently using the camera as a VTR and it is putting a lot of wear on the heads - doing commercial work - corporate videos, etc.

Any advice or experience would be of assistance. Thanks

eliquidmedia
Old October 25th, 2002, 05:38 PM   #59
Warden

I don't know of any combo DVD/VCR decks that are certified by Apple for use with FCP3. I would suggest buying two seperate devices to maintain maximum compatability.

Jeff
Old October 25th, 2002, 11:00 PM   #60
Wrangler

I use a JVC HR-DVS2 deck. (See my review of the deck posted here: http://new.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=&postid=28126.)

I have no problems with batch capturing or with using tapes originated in my XL1s. I use a DVStorm PC-based system, but I can't imagine the protocol is any different from the Mac system used in FCP3.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite