Various questions FCP3 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 25th, 2002, 08:40 PM   #76
Warden

It's a plug-in, but I don't use it, so I can't help much in that reguard. Peak has a PDF on reducing noise etc. It comes with the full version. You can download it here http://homepage.mac.com/jtdonald/Fil...ng5.html<br />

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 09:05 PM   #77
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Matt and Welcome,
As with most other types of noise, removing wind noise is problemmatic, although a bit less than other noises. Wind noise generally occurs within a relatively narrow band of low frequencies. I would be inclined to try working within FCP by opening the affected clips in the viewer to get a big view of audio waveform. Start by applying the low-pass (rumble) filter and adjusting it to see how it affects the clip at various settings. From there, just experiment. Even if you fail it's a great opportunity to learn about manipulating audio with FCP3 and PeakDV.

BTW, PeakDV, which ships with FCP, can also be opened as a stand-alone application. If you want to enter full-blown audio editing that's the way to go. You won't need to separate audio and video with PeakDV. Just open the Quicktime file containing the caputured footage.

Unfortunately, no matter what you do you are bound to adversely affect your base audio. That's why voice-overs will be part of the audio scene forever. <g>

Good luck and have fun!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 09:12 PM   #78
Warden

Thanks, Ken. I didn't know Peak DV was a stand alone program too. I'll have to play with it when I have some time.

Jeff
Old November 26th, 2002, 11:02 AM   #79
Matt H123

Thanks Guys!

Hey Ken and Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it! If I have any luck, I'll post again and let you know how it turned out!

Thanks again,
Matt
Old November 28th, 2002, 12:31 AM   #80
Regular Crew

iDVD and FCP3

Is it possible to edit a movie in FCP3 and set it up be played back on regular DVD players in iDVD? I'm not talking about a small project or quicktime movie, I'm talking about an actual feature. I want three menus and will probably need five submenus for on of the primary menus. I guess what I'm asking is can a make a professional looking DVD in iDVD or do I need DVD Studio Pro?

-Vinson
Vinson Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2002, 01:24 AM   #81

Re: iDVD and FCP3

Certainly it's very possible to build a professional-quality dvd with iDVD. In essence, you export your movie from FCP3 into a Quicktime container in DV format, then import it into iDVD for MPEG2 encoding. You do, however, have to work within iDVD's confines; 90min max length, no subtitling or alternate audio tracks, submenuing is handled via a "folders" construct, etc.

Apple has a helluva lot of into regarding the iDVD and DVD-SP products on their site. http://www.apple.com/idvd/ That's your best overview resource for this subject. If you already have a Mac with iDVD why not spend a day or two exploring it to learn its features and limits. DVD-SP is a big leap in capabilities, expense ($999) and complexity of workflow.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old November 28th, 2002, 11:13 AM   #82
Major Player

if you want to save disk space you can export movie to FCP movie hi res then uncheck make movie self contained box and idvd will except this format also. there is no need to export as quicktime file! just drag the FCP movie into idvd screen and it will automatically begin to convert to mpeg2.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 01:15 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Cropping in FCP3

Hello everyone

It’s always quite difficult to explain in words something you want to do visually but here goes:

I want to place two separate clips into a sequence I’m putting together. When I drag the clips into the Canvas I want to crop them into four sided polygons which when placed next to each other will form a complete clip that is rectangular in shape, (visually, like a non-complicated jigsaw puzzle so to speak).

Using the crop tool I’m unable to make a four sided polygon other than a square and although I can make the shape I want with the distort tool the video image becomes distorted (as I’m sure is supposed to happen with the distort tool!)

In FCP 3 can I crop a video clip into a four-sided non-regular shape without distorting it?

Here’s hoping!

Cheers

Simon
Simon Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 03:27 PM   #84

Simon,
If I understand your objective accurately, you need to basically build mattes (with rectangular cutouts) to mask-out each clip, positioning within the frame as needed. Stack them on separate tracks in the timeline and voila.

See FCP's Help or the manual for more info on building mattes. It's not as hard as it might appear.

Old December 3rd, 2002, 05:08 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Ken

Thanks for your reply you're absolutely correct on this, I had a fiddle around tonight and indeed Matte's is the way to go with this one.

Just as a footnote, if there are any FCP programmers that stop by on this site, I think it would be quite cool if there was a non-linear crop option to the crop tool, it really would help and benefit what is a fantastic program!

Cheers!

Simon
Old December 10th, 2002, 02:30 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Capturing CD audio in FCP3 on OS-X

Hello everyone

I don't know if this is a silly question or not but do you know how to do this?

The manual refers to a button labelled 'convert'. When locating the particular track on the audio CD you want to import apparently you press this button and it pulls the file in to FCP.

This would seem fine for OS-9 (which the manual, or some parts of it seem to be written for) but in OS-X the convert button does not exist.

When I import the song, the audio will run in FCP as long as the CD is in the player, but as soon as I remove it the track goes offline.

Probably a really simple answer ... ...!

Cheers

Simon
Old December 10th, 2002, 03:56 PM   #87
Warden

Funny you should ask. The topic of converting audio for use in FCP has just come up. Read this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=5380 The beeping is what you get if you don't convert the audio to the same frequency as your sequence. QuickTime does a very nice job of converting the CD (44.1kHz) to the sequence setting (should be 48kHz for most audio). Load the CD open QT and load the track (or just drag and drop). Choose export from the menu and change the setting to 48kHz (or what you have your sequence set to). Drop converted file into timeline.

Jeff
Old December 10th, 2002, 04:40 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Brilliant!

Thanks Jeff

Simon
Old December 11th, 2002, 11:20 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Can any version of QT do this?
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2002, 11:30 PM   #90

Sorry, only the "Pro" version offers this facility.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite