DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 4th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #106
Trustee

24P footage using FCP 3

I have a new Panasonic DVX100 and would like to know if it's possible to dump 24p footage right into FCP? I read on another forum that 24P footage can be edited in a normal 29.97 dv sequence just as regular DV footage- but it somehow doesn't seem right- anyone know for certain if this is true- and if it's not- can someone explain how 24p can be edited without additional software?
Old February 4th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #107
Warden

Steve,

Are you going to film or tape or DVD etc. with your footage? Remember that NTSC video is still 29.97 (30) frames per second. that's what every NTSC VCR plays, not 24p. What 24 frame mode are you using, p or a?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 07:10 AM   #108
Trustee

Hey Jeff,

I feel like we're old frineds with us posting here so much..how's all?

I'm no pro- I'm just looking to produce videos for eventual output back to mini-dv tape or .mov files....definitely not transferred to film (however DVD is an option with my Mac)

...so can I put recorded footage in 24p (not advanced mode- which is for evetual film transfer as I understand) into a standard 29.97 DV sequence in FCP3? Can it be treated normally?

Also, my DVX allows the option to record in drop frame and non-drop frame- which is the better method when going back to FCP? I just want to make things easy!

Thanks Jeff
(and to any whom answer)
Old February 5th, 2003, 08:26 AM   #109
Warden

Last things first Drop Frame (DF) and Non-Drop Frame (NDF) do not drop actual frames. Drop Frame, drops a frame number periodically so time code stays consistent with real time (29.97 fps vs. 30 fps) That small difference would throw all broadcast programing off over the course of a day. The spec for DV is drop frame, so I would recommend staying with drop frame.

I will suggest you read the following two links for a more complete understanding

Adam Wilt has a power point presentation that he did for MacWorld that you can view

"Digital Alliteration:Panasonic, Progressive, Pulldown and "Pretty Darn Cool"

By Charles Roberts

Adam's is a brief over view, but very concise and to the point. It will bring you up to speed in a hurry. The article by Charles Roberts is much more in depth and more of a how-to article.

If you have any questions after reading those articles, post back and I'll try to explain.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 15th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #110
Mandla22

FCP3 Quits

I need some help on this. I did disk utility repair. Trashed Pref. still come up w/same issue; I run G4 DP533 1.2G Ram. I went to my OS 9.2.2 there FCP2 said I did not have proper Quicktime. I went to FCP2 CD downloaded QT version, then upon opening FCP2 it said that I had a missing or invalid software key and I need to reinstall FCP from the CD. Are the 2 issues related? The difference is that in OS 10.2.3/FCP3.04 it almost loads b4 I get the alert "FCP has unexpectedly quit". When I attempt to open FCP in OS 9.2.2 it doesn't even begin to load; the alert "Final Cut Pro requires a software key that is either missing or invalid. Reinstall FCP from the CD". I am in the worst case scenario. This happened b4 I was able to make a copy of my project. How can I save myself & my project and get this to work correctly?
Old February 15th, 2003, 11:09 PM   #111
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'm not sure what's happening but I am confused.

- Are you running FCP 2 or FCP 3?

- If the latter, why didn't you reinstall Quicktime Pro from the FCP 3 CD's?

- Are you running OS 9.x or OS 10.x?

FCP binds to an internal id of the Mac after successful installation. It cannot be copied or partially reinstalled without complete reinstallation.

Also, FCP on OS 9 is separate from FCP on OS 10. That is, you cannot invoke the same program file for either platform.

Your pre-problem project file will probably be fine, although you likely lost work in progress.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 07:15 PM   #112
Mandla22

Omf

How do you export an OMF audio file? If your project is longer than 2 hrs how do you split the file on to 2 cd's?
Old March 2nd, 2003, 08:23 PM   #113
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Re: Omf

<<<-- Originally posted by Mandla22 : How do you export an OMF audio file? If your project is longer than 2 hrs how do you split the file on to 2 cd's? -->>>

From what application?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 10:53 AM   #114
Mandla22

OMF

Sorry I take things from granted. FCP3; I try to export to cd disk but it tells me I do not have enough space. How do put on 2 disks? Is this just a straight burn to cd process when I press export?
Old March 3rd, 2003, 11:37 AM   #115
Warden

OMF is just a file format. When you hit the save button in the OMF dialog box it starts the creation of the file. How you burn it will be up to you and the software on your system. OMF does have a 2 gig limit. If your file will be bigger than 2 gigs it will generate an error dialog box.

Old March 3rd, 2003, 11:01 PM   #116
Mandla22

Exporting audio-burn to cd

How can I export my dialog audio as wav file then burn to cd to give to as sound editor? FCP3 w/OS X. I also have Toast.
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #117
Warden

Sorry I missed your post. Import your file into QuickTime. Export the file (via QT) via export, change sound to WAV. Use Options to set Rate, bit rate, stereo/mono, and compression.

Old May 21st, 2003, 05:51 PM   #118

scroll wheel in FCP3 OSX?

I just got a Logitech trackball with a scroll wheel. It works in all apps except Final Cut (v3.02 OSX 10.2.5).

Anyone else having this problem? If I had to guess, I'd say it's the Logitech drivers.

-Aaron
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:42 PM   #119

I don't think scrollwheels have worked in any FCP product to date, and I don't expect them to work in FCP4, either (though of course I could be wrong). OS X supports scrollwheels and right mouse buttons natively (no drivers needed). But whether you have drivers or not, the screens ain't scrollin' in FCP. Tis a shame. Not sure why it is the way it is, but I've grown used to it.

PS - I use a Microsoft optical two-button mouse with scrollwheel.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 06:46 AM   #120
New Boot

Same goes with Final Cut Express.

My MS Intellimouse Explorer's scrollwheel doesn't work in this app.
Ben Nicholson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite