DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   fcp multicam editing - switching angle problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/80128-fcp-multicam-editing-switching-angle-problem.html)

Jonathan Nelson November 21st, 2006 02:16 PM

fcp multicam editing - switching angle problem

I have this overwhelming issue with fcp multicam editing.

For some reason or other, when I try to switch camera angles, the in/out points change position. Intead of going to the different angle in the viewer, the entire clip changes. if I just keep switching angles on the same clip, eventually the in/out points will reach the start of the timeline. I have spent hours on this multiclip and now its looking like I might have to redo it.

I just can't figure it out. It was working just great yesterday but now it does something completely different. I have the viewer set to "open" and I have looked at just about every setting.

I restarted the app but it does the same thing.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

William Hohauser November 21st, 2006 10:00 PM

I had to set-up the keyboard specially for multi-cam switching so I could remember the right keys for switching not just changing the base camera. Check it out, it might be the fix that'll help.

Jonathan Nelson November 22nd, 2006 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser
I had to set-up the keyboard specially for multi-cam switching so I could remember the right keys for switching not just changing the base camera. Check it out, it might be the fix that'll help.

It is so crazy, I had to redo the entire thing in a new sequence. Now, everything is working great!

Going back to the original sequence, it still has the same problem, even if I use the keyboard to switch or cut between angles. I like to click the monitor which may be the noob way but I like it for some reason.

It really is strange, the switch function does switch to the other angle but it does so at a different in/out point. Like I said before, if I just keep switching back and forth between angles, eventually the in/out points reach the start of the timeline. I think it is selecting different pieces in the multiclip where I made cuts.

I am sure some fcp pro knows whats going on. I have about 30 hours of xp so far with fcp and I am absolutly stumped as to what changed this multiclip.

I am just worried about having this sort of thing happen again. I hate having to redo everything.

Nick Weeks November 22nd, 2006 09:16 AM

I had the exact same problem you are having when I first tried out multicam a few months ago. My footage was only about 2 hours long, but after spending 10 hours or so setting up multicam (I didn't have timecode that matched or anything to easily sync the clips). I had 3 camera angles and one separate audio source.

I never did figure out why it bombed out, but re-creating the sequene fixed it perfectly. Are you using the new 5.1 version of FCP? When I first used it I was still using FCP 5.0, and I haven't had a need for it since I did the crossgrade install. Maybe it's a bug of 5.0??

Jonathan Nelson November 22nd, 2006 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
I had the exact same problem you are having when I first tried out multicam a few months ago. My footage was only about 2 hours long, but after spending 10 hours or so setting up multicam (I didn't have timecode that matched or anything to easily sync the clips). I had 3 camera angles and one separate audio source.

I never did figure out why it bombed out, but re-creating the sequene fixed it perfectly. Are you using the new 5.1 version of FCP? When I first used it I was still using FCP 5.0, and I haven't had a need for it since I did the crossgrade install. Maybe it's a bug of 5.0??

It looks like a bug to me, but its funny because it never goes away. Even if I reboot and everything, it still does the same thing but only to the one multiclip.

Like you, I didn't have matching time code either, I had to do it all manually.

I have fcp 5.1 with all the updates. I just bought it about a week or so ago with my mac pro.

So far, except for that original multiclip, everything is working great. Hopefully, it stays that way.