Capture Card Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 5th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Capture Card Question

Hello; could some one please answer if I would gain anything picture quality wise, if I were to install a Aja Kona card to Mac Pro on FCP, if working exclucivly on HDV and Mini DV format, also would I still need to install a pro sound card if I buy Kona? There seems to be no fire wire out from from this card(?) or is my Mac enough for DV and HDV needs? Thanks in advance.

Ronald
Ronald A. Halder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Major Player

OK, I'm no expert by any means and am probably going to get this all wrong, but I use a Kona Lh card every day. It seems to me that unless you are hooked up to a proffesional tape deck that employs componet and XLR I/O then I dont know why you would need a Kona Card.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Major Player

If you are just working with HDV, MiniDV or any of the DVCPro family (25, 50, HD) then firewire is the way to go.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well... yes, but not through the card "bettering" your images.

But with a card like that, you could properly connect a well set up pro videomonitor, and eh... you will sorta never know how you thought you could live without one.

The aja can also live transcode to other codecs, which could be quite an advantage if you want to speed up editing times and you're recording to HDV. If you go to DVCPRO HD when you capture, you'll se highly increesed speeds in renders and if you composite or CC, your files will hold up better.

Again: The card itself will not make your images better. The workflow might very well.

(This is not as a part of the HDV vs other formats debate, just a practical info.)

Gunleik
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the info, will help a lot for me to decide on a card option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven
Well... yes, but not through the card "bettering" your images.

But with a card like that, you could properly connect a well set up pro videomonitor, and eh... you will sorta never know how you thought you could live without one.

The aja can also live transcode to other codecs, which could be quite an advantage if you want to speed up editing times and you're recording to HDV. If you go to DVCPRO HD when you capture, you'll se highly increesed speeds in renders and if you composite or CC, your files will hold up better.

Again: The card itself will not make your images better. The workflow might very well.

(This is not as a part of the HDV vs other formats debate, just a practical info.)

Gunleik
Ronald A. Halder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite