DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 14th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #1
New Boot

importing quicktime (sorenson) file problem

Hello,

I've been working with FCP 5.0.4 for a few months now with just the normal learning curve issues, but everything was from tape that I captured and logged.

Now I am having problems importing a file. I was given an 8 minuted quicktime file (sorenson vid 3 high quality, 720x405) that I need to import, cut up, and re edit. I am looking for advice on the importing part. What is the best way to import that file so I can break it apart and work with it.

I have tried importing, rendering, cutting it up....but then when I place the clips back in the timeline, they are showing they need rerendering. Which means I can't view the project as I am working on it.

It doesn't really matter what format I edit in so I am open to any suggestions

Thanks

-Bill

New Lenox IL
William Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:44 AM   #2
New Boot

Nobody else replied, either they didn't know or figured it was a silly/newbie question. So I will post my own solution.

The reason it was a stupid question....I'll admit to not being an expert at FCP and all the workflows (it is the workflows that are killing me). I saw the Sorenson option under encoding when I set it up for importing, so assumed I could just import the clip and work with it. That is where I was wrong. Did not realize that FCP could not edit that format. I had to 'save as' with quicktime to a supported format, then all problems were solved after another import.

Below are the links to the resources that led me to this. The second one I found very interesting.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....88669&#3688669

http://www.proapptips.com/proapptips...C4082427B.html

Maybe this will help someone else down the road.

-Bill

New Lenox IL
William Potter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite