DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can you add effects to FCP?

is there a way to get additional transitions and effects for FCP or do you have to get more software like after effects?

i'm particularly looking for this transition that when it dissolves to the next clip it kind of dissolves into a white before going to the next clip....i see it a lot when people go to flashback sequences, etc.
James Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

Doesn't seem like you would need an "effect" to create that. Make a white image in Photoshop or a similar application and put it on a track below your video. Then use an opacity ramp to fade in and out of the white.

But to answer your question, sure there are plenty of plug-ins for FCP which provide additional effects. Have a look at Graeme's here: http://www.nattress.com/ and Joe's here: http://www.joesfilters.com/ for starters.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Wrangler

That transition is built-in to FCP. It's called "Dip-To-Color"

It's default is black, so when you put it on two clips it creates a dip to black. Go into the transition properties and you can then change it to white.
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

On a more general approach to your answer:

Yes, there are hundreds of third party filters, FX and transitions for FCP.

I like Joes filters, Eureka, Nattress, and DV garage, but you also have stuff like Magic Bullet and Boris making nice stuff.

Do some research... -;)

Gunleik
Old December 16th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Kino-Eye

I'm a big fan of Magic Bullet, useful for not just for "film look" effects but creating a unique look for a piece of video. A nice tool to have in the post-production toolbox.
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Carver
i'm particularly looking for this transition that when it dissolves to the next clip it kind of dissolves into a white before going to the next clip....i see it a lot when people go to flashback sequences, etc.
If I understand you correctly that's a dissolve with an "additive Mix" which blows out the highlights.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
That transition is built-in to FCP. It's called "Dip-To-Color"

It's default is black, so when you put it on two clips it creates a dip to black. Go into the transition properties and you can then change it to white.
That's exactly what I was going to answer, Nate. I've done it that way and I like the way it looks. I was actually trying to emulate the effect everyone was talking about in the wedding videos and when I found the dip to color I thought why couldn't you dip to white. Sure enough, it worked like a charm.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks guys, this is all great info!

btw, this guy uses the transition i was referring to within the first 5 seconds of his reel. it's the transition going from the second cut into the third cut: http://www.schmovies.com/clips/schowreel_06-small.mov
James Carver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite