DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 18th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Apple extends Final Cut Studio crossgrade until March 19, 2007

Apple has stated that all applications to upgrade Final Cut Studio 5.0 into 5.1 must be postmarked by December 20, 2006 which is this Wednesday. There is more info on the Apple site along with the form and specifics as to how to move to 5.1. The price to upgrade (which Apple is calling a crossgrade) from Final Cut Studio 5.0 to 5.1 is $49. Other versions, 4.0/4.5 have different rates ($199-I think). You can upgrade/crossgrade into the entire Final Cut Suite (FCP-DVD Studio-In Motion-GarageBand) for that price even if you only own one application, own Final Cut Pro 4.5, pay the money and you get the entire Final Cut Studio 5.1.

Just a friendly reminder

Be well

Rob
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Wrangler

Thanks for the reminder Rob! Here are the details:

http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/

Use the links there to download the order forms. I bookmarked this page myself because I have FCP 5.0 and can upgrade to the full Studio package for $99. However I'm still on the fence here. Of course it's a great deal, but I already have Motion and don't really feel the need for DVDSP or Soundtrack. Of course nobody knows what the upgrade path will be for the next version, but in my personal situation I tend to think that $99 spent today give me $99 of software I don't really need. I guess I'll have to make a final decision tomorrow though!

BTW, unless you know something I don't, GarageBand isn't part of FC Studio. It includes Final Cut Pro, SoundTrack Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro and Compressor.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Major Player

The upgrade prices are very attractive (e.g. FCP to FC Studio) but I find it's unbelievable that Apple charges for point releases of the same product.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
The upgrade prices are very attractive (e.g. FCP to FC Studio) but I find it's unbelievable that Apple charges for point releases of the same product.
They usually don't. 5.1 was an exception because it was the move to Intel.
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I already have Motion and don't really feel the need for DVDSP or Soundtrack.BTW, unless you know something I don't, GarageBand isn't part of FC Studio. It includes Final Cut Pro, SoundTrack Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro and Compressor.
Yeah, Garage Band is part of the iLife suite and comes with every new Mac.

But more to the point Boyd, you are missing a great opportunity. Soundtrack Pro is worth the price by itself. It's a much improved application over the original Soundtrack including a nice wave editor. Some of the effects plug-ins are taken straight from the high end Logic Pro application.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Does anyone know if this applies to educational versions of 4.5? Or just retail?
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #7
Wrangler

All educational versions are not upgradable. Definitely a drag.
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
I actually find that it's unbelievable that they ONLY charge $49 for the crossgrade considering the improvements.
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
But more to the point Boyd, you are missing a great opportunity. Soundtrack Pro is worth the price by itself.
I don't disagree, but it's just not something that I anticipate needing during the next 6 to 12 months. There are lots of cool things I don't need which sell at great prices :-)

After much pondering I have decided to let this one pass me by. For one thing, I just hate installing new software and wondering what will break, etc. My current setup on the dual G5 does what I need, and I just don't want to spend $99 for something that will sit on the shelf. When FCP 6 comes out, and when I am ready to move to Intel, then I'll take my chances with whatever upgrade path (if any) is being offered.

Having said all this, I would stress that it's just my personal, cranky old f*rt opinion and there's no disputing that the crossgrade is a great deal if you need what it offers.
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #10

Thanks Rob

Rob,

Thanks for posting this.

Just one small detail that I noticed. The form I pull up with the link above mentions in Step #2 of the instructions -

"Orders must be postmarked by March 19, 2007."

see screen grab here -

http://www.thisis24p.com/fcp-upgrade.html

Maybe you saw the date somewhere else... and Apple has not been consistent with their info? Or maybe they just decided to delay it?

- - -

Edit (11:45 a.m.) - I called the 800 number (hit 1 then hit 5 to speak to someone) and they let me know that the deadline was just extended to the March 19th date. Merry Christmas from Apple I guess.

Last edited by Guest; December 21st, 2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #11
Regular Crew

No, they just changed it. I had printed out the form (and it says postmarked by 12/20/06) and was going to rush to the post office today. This is good news, because I can delay spending the money until after Christmas!
Old December 20th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #12
Wrangler

That's really interesting - I was sort of expecting them to do that. One might expect the offer would remain in place until they come up with another major FCP update (but of course who knows?)

But yes, that is definitely a change because I looked at the same link when I posted my response above and it definitely still said Dec 20. For me this a good thing... I might feel different about upgrading when March comes :-)

I'm changing the title of this thread to reflect the new deadline.
Old December 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
All educational versions are not upgradable. Definitely a drag.
Well the biggest reason for that is the student price is usually the price for someone else doing a full upgrade(but not in this situation). But i feel your pain i have the student one also.
Kevin Calumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #14
Major Player

Funny as H*ll. I spent over 45 min at the post office with very disgruntled people (I was one of them) as we waited in line as the ONE man working at the window slowly waited on us. I stood there with my padded envelope with my installer DVD's knowing that I had to have this postmarked today. I patiently watched as the man five people ahead of me pulled out a shopping bag full of letters and asked if the teller could weigh each of them to make sure they had the correct postage.

This was also after working until 1am last night, driving home from the hellish NYC traffic, getting up at the butt of dawn to take my 4 year old to school while my 17 month old is sick and clingy (I will miss these days), going to a packed auditorium to watch the Christmas play (my four year old ROCKED! of course...), going to UPS to pick up my brand new V1U (and hoping that I would have a chance to play around with it) and knowing that I was now going to be hurrying my butt back into NYC to work at 4:30pm. Of course the NY Knicks had to go into Double OT (delaying me from getting back home so I could really play around with the V1U). But I'm a dedicated dvinfo.net reader so I happen to come across the extended cross grade offer...

Today was a good day.

Happy Holiday to everyone!

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Chandler
Does anyone know if this applies to educational versions of 4.5? Or just retail?
Actually, the educational versions are eligiable for the upgrade. In the terms and conditions the state:

"You must have purchased Final Cut Pro 4 Retail (M9038Z/A), Final Cut Pro 4 Upgrade from Final Cut Pro (M9039Z/A), Final Cut Pro 4 Upgrade from Final Cut Express (M9116Z/A), Final Cut Pro 4 Academic (M9153LL/A), Final Cut Pro HD Retail (M9038Z/B), Final Cut Pro HD Upgrade from Final Cut Pro 1,2,3 (M9039Z/B), Final Cut Pro HD Upgrade from Final Cut Express (M9116Z/B), or Final Cut Pro Academic HD (M9153LL/B) to participate in this program."

This is a REALLY good oportunity to get a full functional, upgradeable version of the Final Cut Studio.
Dino Santoro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite