DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Apple Cinema Display 23" VS. Dell 24" UltraSharp 2407WFP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/82102-apple-cinema-display-23-vs-dell-24-ultrasharp-2407wfp.html)

Gustavo Godinho December 19th, 2006 02:51 PM

Apple Cinema Display 23" VS. Dell 24" UltraSharp 2407WFP

so, which one is the best?

Is there any other one you guys recommend me? I can stand even a 22", as soon itīs as good as the dell and the apple ones and with better price than the apple.

Chuck Spaulding December 19th, 2006 07:14 PM

I have the Dell 24" 2405 and its great.

John Jencks December 20th, 2006 07:17 AM

I don't know which standard they work with in Brazil, but I've heard that some Dell monitors can't do 50Hz and therefore don't work for PAL, only NTSC footage. I might be wrong about this, but it would be worth checking.

Niels Neeskens December 20th, 2006 01:09 PM

I love my Apple Cinema display 23''. Never regret it for one second that I bought it.

Niels

Harry Bromley-Davenport December 20th, 2006 07:31 PM

Dell works great for me.

Harry

Shane Ross December 20th, 2006 11:58 PM

I too prefer the Dells. I have two.

And barefeats.com/lcd has Dell beating Apple in every catagory.

Chuck Spaulding December 21st, 2006 12:29 AM

I just got back from the Apple store. As many of you might be aware I'm making the transition to the dark side [if you love Macs and don't want to read my venting skip to the end...]

They made me talk to the "Genius" (seriously that's what they call themselves?) who told me that you have to purchase the RAM and internal SATA drives from Apple or it voids the warranty. This is why I hate Apple. $400 for the identical SATA drive that I can purchase for $179 -- give me a break.

They had a Mac Pro with FCP on a 30" monitor, man that was as close to an orgasm as you can have with a computer. I could really get used to that!

Of coarse Dell is having a sale on the 30" for about $1200 but I'm if I had asked the "Genius" would say that it won't work or void the Apple warranty........Aarrg

Jonathan Nelson December 21st, 2006 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding
I just got back from the Apple store. As many of you might be aware I'm making the transition to the dark side [if you love Macs and don't want to read my venting skip to the end...]

They made me talk to the "Genius" (seriously that's what they call themselves?) who told me that you have to purchase the RAM and internal SATA drives from Apple or it voids the warranty. This is why I hate Apple. $400 for the identical SATA drive that I can purchase for $179 -- give me a break.

They had a Mac Pro with FCP on a 30" monitor, man that was as close to an orgasm as you can have with a computer. I could really get used to that!

Of coarse Dell is having a sale on the 30" for about $1200 but I'm if I had asked the "Genius" would say that it won't work or void the Apple warranty........Aarrg

Did the "Genius" explain how Apple could detect if you ever used third party hardware?

I already have third party sata drives on mine.

By the way, I have acer 24" monitors and love them.

Chuck Spaulding December 21st, 2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson
Did the "Genius" explain how Apple could detect if you ever used third party hardware?

I don't know, I guess because he's a genius...

Gunleik Groven December 21st, 2006 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding
who told me that you have to purchase the RAM and internal SATA drives from Apple or it voids the warranty. This is why I hate Apple. $400 for the identical SATA drive that I can purchase for $179 -- give me a break

& it's just a lot of BS as well!

The newer macs have many self-serviceable parts.

As for the display

I have both the Dell and the Apple (24/23) and like both. I would buy the Apple for photoshop work and if I planned to use it with Digital Cinema Desktop, though. If you have an external video-monitor: Go Dell!!

Gunleik

Alden Miller December 21st, 2006 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven
& it's just a lot of BS as well!

The newer macs have many self-serviceable parts.

As for the display

I have both the Dell and the Apple (24/23) and like both. I would buy the Apple for photoshop work and if I planned to use it with Digital Cinema Desktop, though. If you have an external video-monitor: Go Dell!!

Gunleik

Sorry for hijacking here. But if you are using Apple's cinema displays there is no need for a video monitor? (I may be reading to much into that last sentence.)

Alden

Shane Ross December 21st, 2006 06:05 PM

A computer monitor will never replace a CRT or pro LCD for color correction and true representation of colors.

Alden Miller December 21st, 2006 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Ross
A computer monitor will never replace a CRT or pro LCD for color correction and true representation of colors.

Ok that's kinda what I thought.

Thanks

Alden