Pixled Image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 31st, 2003, 02:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pixled Image

I just finished applying the color correcter om few clips. then I proceeded to make a DVD test and I noticed that one clip (that was way oversaturated and was corrected) appears jerky and pixlated. I made another DVD copy of the same clip wihout the collor correction and it plays fine. Does the color corrector make certain clips pixalted? and if so, is there a way to correct that?
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 02:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Please note that in order to make the DVD i had to make an "FCP quick time" but the actual project is still NOT rendered yet, do you think that's a contributing factor?
In case you're wondering, the color corrector changes are as follows:
Level Controls:
Highlights: 253
Mids: 70
Blacks -40
That's all :)
Old April 2nd, 2003, 01:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

No one knows the answer? wow that's a first.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 03:03 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

John,
No I don't think anyone really does know the answer. But it's safe to surmise that FCP's color corrector is not the culprit. The resulting footage, when encountered by your MPEG-2 compressor, is where the problem lies.

First, make sure you're exporting the footage from FCP properly, normally as NTSC-DV 29.97fps.

Then take control of your MPEG-2 encoder by varying its data rate, etc. to see what settings avoid the break-up.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 08:38 PM   #5
Warden

What software did you use iDVD or DVD SP? How long in minutes is your clip? What versions of software (inc. OS and QT) are you using?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 09:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Idvd, OSX it was a 12 min piece
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:07 PM   #7

Unfortunately, iDVD doesn't enable you to manually manage the MPEG-2 compression process. So, if you want to continue with iDVD you'll have to work-around the problem from outside of that portion of the process.

What is the nature of the portion of the clip that breaks-up? Fast action? Camera pans?

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

it's a camera pan of trees and bright sky.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:48 AM   #9
Warden

John,

First I would make sure your using the latest versions of QT 6.1.1, OS 10.2.4 and iDVD 3? I don't use iDVD and while it offers speed, ease of use and simplicity, it does have encoding limitations.

Things you can try:

Use DVD SP (I know $1,000), more flexible in encoding.

Are you watch actual DVD burns or using the software player? Sometimes the player can be misleading. Do an actual burn and check you DVD on a couple of different TV's (friends, neighbors).

Try less color correction and see if it encodes any better.

I have a feeling the detail in all the leaves and the pan movement is more information than iDVD can handle. The color correction might just be making the artifacts more noticeable.

Sorry I can't be of more help. These things are hard to accurately diagnose without seeing the images.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 12:26 PM   #10

One appendix to Jeff's suggestions.

If you have the latest QuickTime Pro you may be able to build an MPEG-2 directly from your clip. (I know that my QTPro features this as an export option.) This will give you some idea of what's going on before you plunk down $1K on DVD Studio Pro. (Note that DVD-SP does not do the MPEG-2 encoding itself anyway. You would be using something like Cleaner 6 for that.)

Unfortunately, you will not be able to bring the MPEG-2 clip into iDVD. You will still need DVD-SP to do the multiplexing, a preparatory step for creating the DVD that iDVD hides from you.

Old April 3rd, 2003, 01:23 PM   #11
Warden

You would need Cleaner 5 or 6, or Toast to encode your DVD's if you move up to DVD SP. Sorry I left that out. I use toast to burn most of my DVD's. However, you can use the Apple Utility to burn also.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite