Illustrator format? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 2nd, 2003, 02:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Illustrator format?

What format do Adobe Illustrator files need to be saved as in order to bring them into FCE as Alpha channels? All I want to do is set some type (just a few words) and import them in to superimpose over my footage. (The reason I'm having to do this is that for some reason the font I want to use will not show up in the FCE font menu - it works in all of my other software though).

I tried quite a few different formats last night and the best I got was to either get the whole Illustrator page canvas coming through or something weird where the type whent yellow on black and duplicated itself on a seperate timeline...?
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:26 AM   #2
Warden

To the best of my knowledge you can't use Illustrator with FCP. You might be able to run it through Photoshop, but I've never tried. I use Photoshop for most of my text generation. Illustrator is vector based and many programs do not support vector based graphics.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Aha that could be it then - I'll stick to Photoshop. Thanks Jeff.
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 01:32 PM   #4
Air China Pilot

I'd like to point out that After Effects imports Illustrator just fine.
Old April 5th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Stop the clock!

On a hunch I just tried importing an Illustrator saved PDF into FCP, and it works! It does not continually rasterize the file like After Effects would, FCP seems to rasterize i.e. convert from vectors to pixels, at the size the PDF is set from inside Illustrator. However, it's still pretty useful since it allows you to edit the original file in Illustrator as vectors and once saved you just need to reconnect the media in FCP.

I like this. Another good use of PDFs inside OS X.

Sorry, I just assumed you use OS X.
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2003, 02:04 PM   #6
Warden

Thanks for the tip.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite