Weird QT behavior at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

Weird QT behavior

I've just noticed that clips exported from FCP as "standalone" files or even using the QT conversion don't have the same color response when played in QT as they do when in FCP.

When played back directly in the QT player the colors are more muted and flatter, whereas played from a FCP viewer or timeline they are much more saturated.

I've got the latest version of everything, so it's not an upgrade issue. Anyone else notice this - and know why this happens?
Old December 31st, 2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Major Player

I've run into this issue as well and here's what I think I know about it ;). If you go into the System Settings in the Final Cut Pro menu and go to the Playback Control tab you can select options for Gamma Correction. It is Accurate by default which will result in the exported QT movies being flatter in colour than the canvas window. If you change the GC to Approximate the exported files will look the same as the canvas (which will look less saturated).

From what I've read the Accurate is supposed to look more like a video monitor, but I don't have a pro monitor to test this with. Also I think that this setting won't have any effect on the way the movie is displayed when exported, just the way it looks in the canvas, so if it looks good on your video monitor it will look the same when you burn to DVD or go to tape or whatever no matter which setting you choose.

I guess the only point between switching between the two is if you are colour correcting something for the web you could change to approximate to see how it would look when played back in QT on a computer monitor.

Hopefully that helps, and if someone more knowledgeable comes along feel free to correct me :)
Nate
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

That sounds logical; I'll test it and see what happens! Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #4
New Boot

Weird behavior as well; any final solution?

Robert, did you ever come up with answers about this? I, too, have noticed the issue of a relative brightness and saturation in the FCP canvas that translates to a Quicktime file that is less satisfactory. This is a major problem for me in that I have been relying on Quicktime files as an exhibition format for the time being for 720p24 material since it looks so much better projected on screen than DVD.
Bill Noland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite