Strange "gappy" behavior in the timeline of FCE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Strange "gappy" behavior in the timeline of FCE

Yesterday I returned to a sequence in FCE that I hadn't worked on in several weeks only to find that it had been "corrupted" somehow.

Some clips have disappeared from the sequence (although they are still in the browser) and there are now gaps in the timeline that still play as though the clip were there, yet there is nothing to select in the timeline if I want to move, change or delete the clip.

Also, portions of the video are no longer synchronized with audio even though as I watch the playhead move across the time line everything looks fine. Video clips begin to play, then segments of them jump and play again from the beginning as the playhead clearly is continuing on and playing through the rest of the clip or even moving over a different clip.

This has happened several times to me and I must go back and reconstruct much of the timeline in order to fix it. Sometimes a small change to a clip which then neccessitates a render will fix it. Sometimes not.

Sometimes it seems as if a clip extends UNDERNEATH the adjacent clip! I know that's impossible but that's what seems to be happening in a few cases.

I have repaired permissions, trashed prefs and rebuilt the directory with Disk Warrior two times with no change.

Has this happned to anyone else?
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Trustee

I have weird problems if I keep my FCE open for long periods of time and the computer goes to sleep, but it always cures with a restart of FCE.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Major Player

A possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
I have weird problems if I keep my FCE open for long periods of time and the computer goes to sleep, but it always cures with a restart of FCE.
I do that too!! I wonder if that's the problem. I will try closing FCE at the end of each editing session from now on.

Anyone else experience this?
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite