DVD/Superdrive/IDVD question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 6th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #16
Major Player

Note for John:

Surf over to Ken Stone's site -- he has a good review of the Panasonic T3040 desktop burner. Sounds like there is a definite niche for this unit. e.g., non-authored, computerless DVDs. I'm about ready to spring for one.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...dvdburner.html
Old April 8th, 2003, 11:04 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ken. And Jeff, the trade would be for Alberta and the oil; a bargain given the collapsed state of the Oregon economy (actually, there was a pretty interesting moment last week where a US official used the term "regime change" in reference to Canada and PM Jean Chetrien's failure to support the war). Vancouver is a pretty interesting city for video, both because it is a "Hollywood north" production center, and because there is a lot of independent DV activity. DV is certainly becoming a mainstream research tool in my area of the university: all kinds of people are shooting interviews, etc., and my students are really keen to do more. I think we can expect some significant expansion in our faculty's labs and support and some truly innovative applications soon (I'm working on a chunky grant today, in fact).

Linc
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Well, it seems the FireWire ports on my old B&W G3 400 have gone bad. If anyone has had this problem and managed to get them working again, I would like to know how you did it. Anyway, I've been using Final Cut Pro 2.0, but with 4.0 about to be released that will work only on a newer G4, and my need for a DVD burner, it's probably time to upgrade to a new dual processor G4. My question is this. I want to burn videos i've made with my XL1 onto DVD, but will iDVD do a quality job, providing I stay within the 90 minute range, or should I go with Studio Pro? Will iDVD retain the color quality, sharpness and freedom from artifacts during rapid motion most people have come to expect from DVDs? I know if I go over the 90 minute limit, the lower bit rate encoding will introduce some of those problems. I've never had the opportunity to see what iDVD can do. So, if you can provide some feedback I would be most grateful. Thanks.
Old April 11th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #19
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Don,
Given the 90 min constraint, I think you'll be very pleasently surprised by iDVD, especially the latest version. It does a good job and offers quite a bit of flexibility with respect to menu layouts, etc. Since it's free you'll have a good chance to test it out before deciding if you need DVD Studio Pro, the new version of which comes along this fall.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks so much, Ken, for your encouraging reply. I'm really looking forward to checking out iDVD. Also, your review of the 16x manual lens (XL1 Watchdog), which I'm planning to get, was helpful.
Old April 11th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #21
Warden

iDVD is free with any new machine. You can try it and if it doesn't meet your expectations, you'll have to upgrade to DVD SP. The good news is the price for DVD SP 2 is half, yup, $500. Not bad for best in class performance.

You should be aware that new machines will either me announced at WWDC in June or MacWorld in July. I know that's a long way off if your machine just died, but I wanted to point that out.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff. By the way, what is WWDC? I'm not familiar with that acronym. Since I live in the Washington, DC area, it sounds like something that might be nearby. It might be worth the wait if new PowerMacs will make their appearance.
Old April 11th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Oh, I forgot to mention. My Mac did not die. Just the FireWire ports. The rest of the machine works fine. Do you know anyone whose FireWire ports went bad but who corrected the problem? I plan on keeping my old G3 anyway. The new G4 (G5?) will be used almost exclusively for video editing and associated tasks.
Old April 11th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #24
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Don,
WWDC is Apple's World Wide Developers' Conference that they hold each year.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #25
Warden

Sorry, its in San Fransico, June 23 to 27. OS 10.3 will be previewed and there are rumors that new Power Macs will be highlighted.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 10:56 PM   #26
Major Player

Don--

I added a PCI Firewire card to the B&W G3 I recently sold. It seemed to work fine. Have you tried one?
Old April 14th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Vic, didn't your B&W G3 (you sold) originally come with FireWire capability? Or did your ports go bad, requiring you to add a separate PCI FireWire board? Thanks for the feedback.
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #28
Major Player

Yeah, it came with 2 fw ports, but I found that the video transfer rate was giving me some problems. Adding the card cured it, plus it gave me additional ports.
Old May 29th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #29
Regular Crew

so if i get dvd studio pro, and want to make a dvd with a video running time of 2 hours, will i be obligated to also have a program like toast, sorensen, cleaner, etc?
Jay Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 04:39 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Jay,

No. Not obligated. They all have their uses, but DVDSP is quite capable of authoring, encoding, and writing directly to a DVD-R. Usually.

Toast is great for making extra copies once DVDSP has built the image, but it's by no means necessary.

Cleaner provides another MPEG2 encoder - one that I do not like for DVDs, your mileage may vary.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite