A working deck with FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 9th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A working deck with FCP

ok, so I am thinking about purchasing a duo-core mac pro with FCP to edit footage shot on the HD100. I need to find a suitible deck for capture and dumping back on tape, after editing on FCP or even Avid.

I've been reading about problems with the BR-HD50 and FCP, where there are some difficulties capturing, capture breaks, FCP not recognizing the deck etc. Are these problems still an issue even with the latest version of FCP?

Anyone recommend any other decks for capture/recording of 720p/24/25/30 and 576/50i 480/60i? Are there any out there except the BR-HD50?

Thanks
Nima Taheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Wrangler

The BR-HD50 is the only deck that will playback all of JVC's ProHD formats through the video outputs. It also has RS-422 control if you have a capture card.

The CU-VH1US is smaller and cheaper, will only playback 720P30 through the screen and video out, but can be used to digitize any of the ProHD formats through firewire.
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Major Player

I wouldn't blame the BR-HD50U for those issues.
You will have the same problems digitizing from any of the HDxxx series camera's if I'm not mistaken. My understanding of the problem is something that apple needs to touch up on
the next fcp update.

My HD50U has performed flawlessly since day one.
Its a great deck with very versatile functions and now that I have it I couldn't do without it.

It did once have an issue with dv recording (dubbing from betasp composite) where it would randomly stop recording, but that was because the black signal on the beta tapes was very weak. nothing a tbc wouldn't fix.

Recently I used the HD50U and the HD100 to make some 24p safety masters of some antarctica footage (about 18 full tapes worth) It succussfully duplicated them all WITH 24p timecode intact......amazing for being HDV.

The tapes were delivered to CNN's London office and they had no issues with the tapes.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks for the info.

also wondering, is the deck capable of recording lets say 576/25p, if I connect the HD100 and playback 720/25p, and thus downconverting? Maybe a stupid question, but if that is possible, how would 720/24p (from HD100) to the BR-HD50 576/25p and 480/30p work regards to pulldown? Any way this is possible working with the deck and the HD100?
Nima Taheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Major Player

I think you would need one of those component to dv converters to do that since the jvc will not downconvert through dv though it will through component and composite.

the ads pyro can be had pretty cheap and has component in and out with dv in and out.

You would set your output deck/camera to downconvert the signal on output and just crash record dv or composite to dv on the destination deck./camera

It should take care of the pulldown as far as i know.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite