Keyframing a head from pic onto moving video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Keyframing a head from pic onto moving video?

Hi

I am trying to key frame a head of a person from a picture onto a short clip of video of a person playing soccer.

I have cropped the head of the person in PS and saved it as a tiff file. When I add it to the timeline above the video clip and drag the scrubber across I can see the video behind the head just fine (except for the two black vertical bars on either side sort of framing the head and video) which no isn’t exactly what I want. Then just to try it out I add Picture in Picture to key frame the head to the movement of the play. When PP is added there is a black box behind the whole thing and you can’t see any of the video behind the head?

I have never tried this effect before so I’m not sure of how to go about it.

If anyone could give some advice (step by step even better) I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Rick
Rick Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Rick

If it were me, I would keframe the Basic Motion properties (scale, center and rotation), found under the clips Motion tab, not add a PinP effect. Also under the Motion tab are the Crop controls, I would use them to crop out any unwanted video.

Cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I think what you need to do is change the background color on the head pic to something that is not in the video clip. Then you have to play with the masking so that the color you pick is transparent. Basically, it's like green screening. There should be a section on that in your help files.
David Avedikian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Just saw this at macworld last week:

http://www.ex-cinder.com/magnet/magnet.html

It's a simple motion tracking app for the mac, designed for exactly what you're doing. Might make your job a whole lot easier - you can download the demo and it only costs $30, so if it saves you a lot of time spent keyframing it's probably worth it.
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will let you know how it works out

Rick
Rick Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You need to go back to Photoshop and convert the tiff file back to a PS document, add a new layer (command-shift-n), then drag the new blank layer to the bottom of the layers, beneath the layer with the cropped head. You should end up with two layers, the top layer is the cropped head and the lower layer is an empty layer. Save this as a .psd file. Import into FCP and drop it onto the timeline.

Key frame the position to taste.

Mike.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite