TC breaks with Decklink or Kona in FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 16th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #1
Major Player

TC breaks with Decklink or Kona in FCP?

I still have not heard or read a definitive answer on this.

When digitizing the BR-HD50U with a capture card (in FCP) are you all still getting TC warnings or breaks as is the case with straight HDV over firewire?

For those of you who have done some testing, I was also curious if digitizing HDMI behaves differently than component- more sensative to TC breaks or not.

Lastly, I would love to hear why anyone chose Kona over Decklink or vice versa. To me the Decklink HD Studio (HDMI & component) seems like the perfect companion to the BR-HD50U deck. Intensity looks like a steal but I need XLR outs.

Kona LH looks great but input would be analog- does it really matter?

Thanks for any input as many of us are in the middle of transitioning to HD. Just like to say that this board has been imeasurably useful as a resource for many.

Best.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Wrangler

Justin,

No. You tend not to have these problems when using capture cards.

FCP and firewire HDV seems to be extra sensitive to any sort of dropout or TC inconsistency.

Capturing HDMI won't work (yet) with the BR-HD50 because of HDCP. I read somewhere (I think on the Convergent site) that JVC will provide a firmware update in the future to turn off HDCP on the HDMI output. As far as I know HDMI does not contain TC data, so you would need to use firewire or RS-422 for control and TC.
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Tim, Thanks for the reply. Music to my ears.

Regarding the HDMI and the BR-HD50U- I've been watching my footage using this connection with my HDCP complient consumer monitor. If it works for monitoring shouldn't it work for digitizing with Decklink/Kona?

Hmm.
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar
Tim, Thanks for the reply. Music to my ears.

Regarding the HDMI and the BR-HD50U- I've been watching my footage using this connection with my HDCP complient consumer monitor. If it works for monitoring shouldn't it work for digitizing with Decklink/Kona?

Hmm.
HDCP embedded signals are ignored by capture cards. The idea is to prevent you from plugging your PS3, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD player into the capture card and making digital perfect pirated copies of Hollywood movies.

Therefore, it doesn't really make sense to have HDCP on the output of a professional deck, unless it is required to present a HDMI signal on a HDCP compliant display?
The recent availability of HDMI capture cards is probably why JVC will change the firmware at some point to enable/disable HDCP when needed.
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar
TRegarding the HDMI and the BR-HD50U- I've been watching my footage using this connection with my HDCP complient consumer monitor. If it works for monitoring shouldn't it work for digitizing with Decklink/Kona?

Hmm.
Here is a short definition of HDCP that explains why it wouldn't work--the monitor decrypts the signal:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/HDCP.html

Here is a more complete explanation of HDCP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Ba...ent_Protection
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Okay, I get it now. If the deck doesn't get a handshake from the card then no dice.

Thanks for the link.
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Capturing HDMI won't work (yet) with the BR-HD50 because of HDCP. I read somewhere (I think on the Convergent site) that JVC will provide and firmware update in the future to turn off HDCP on the HDMI output. As far as I know HDMI does not contain TC data, so you would need to use firewire or RS-422 for control and TC.
Hi Tim-
We have beta code for the HD50 which turns off the HDCP. JVC has indicated that the software will be released before the end of Jan. You are correct, HDMI is video and audio and does not contain TC. We have a 1394 connection to the deck to do deck control and read the TC. We experience essentially no TC breaks with our HD-Connect MI box.

We start shipping next week.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM   #8
New Boot

HDMI capture

So has anyone heard yet if this has been resolved. With the new products from Convergent and Blackmagic it would be soon right?
Cecil Searcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM   #9
New Boot

Version 1.08 is up

Firmware update for the BR-HD50 is up and I have updated my deck. However,
My Blackmagic Intesity card still doesn't recognize the deck. Anyone else have any luck?

Evan
Evan Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM   #10
Tourist

Same here

We're having the same problem capturing via Blackmagic Intensity... Had to end up buying a Kona LHe and capturing Analog HD via Component cables... But still unable to get the RS-422A TC to work properly with Deck Control... When trying to capture via intensity video comes up all green.. damn HDCP... and FYI Intensity and Kona Cards are in seperate Mac Pros.. not both in the same computer.. anyone else care to comment?
Jason Gurnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:40 PM   #11
Major Player

Do you guys have the capture settings at 720p60 on the Intensity?

Or,

Now that the firmware has been updated do you need to manually switch off the HDCP in the HD50 menu?
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #12
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Gurnick View Post
We're having the same problem capturing via Blackmagic Intensity... Had to end up buying a Kona LHe and capturing Analog HD via Component cables... But still unable to get the RS-422A TC to work properly with Deck Control... When trying to capture via intensity video comes up all green.. damn HDCP... and FYI Intensity and Kona Cards are in seperate Mac Pros.. not both in the same computer.. anyone else care to comment?
Hi Jason-
The Vr 1.08 firmware on the HD50 definitely turns off the HDCP. We have been testing this setup extensivley with our HD-Connect MI box with great results. The scene breakup problems are gone as well as the time-code breaks. You can get 1080i, 720p or SD (via the HD/SD-SDI output) and it plays all the various JVC formats: 720p60/50/30/25/24.
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Mike where can I get one of these HD-Connect MI box? I'd really like to solve my tc break problems. thanks

Manny
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #14
Convergent Design

Check out B&H, they have the HD-Connect MI in stock.
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #15
Regular Crew

thanks mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite